Trusted Contributor

Why is drugstore makeup packaging so ugly?

I think that one of the reasons I often overlook drugstore makeup is that the packing that the makeup is housed in is so darn ugly! It is covered in unnecessary words and the actual components are unappealing, to say the least. 

I understand that the containers are not going to be as expensively made as high-end makeup, but can't the companies put their makeup in containers that I want to pick up and feel good about? For example, I went to ULTA last week and closely looked at all of the lower-end makeup areas and was just put off my all of the words on everything and unappealing brand presentations.

NYX has a huge area in my ULTA and I heard that so many of their products were great. I brought a list of the items that I wanted to look at and they were so visually unappealing that I just couldn't buy them. Also, NYX wasn't that much cheaper than higher-end brands when on sale. ColourPop had childish characters on their products and while I love baby Yoda I don't want an eyeshadow pallet with him on it or Winnie the Poo! So infantile.

Physicians Formula all have a strong coconut smell in them.  ELF packaging isn't as bad as some of them. 

Tell me, what do you think?

PS--I know that we must reduce waste so packing will get even worse in the future when it is all made out of cork and mushrooms.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why is drugstore makeup packaging so ugly?

Who cares what the packaging looks like?  You take it home, rip it off and trash it.  I don't pay much attention to it and it doesn't affect my buying decision.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy products for the package, but for what's inside the package.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I barely notice the packaging. It's not an issue for me.  I was in Ulta this past weekend and bought an Essence mascara which had no packaging at all.  OK with me.

Respected Contributor

I get more annoyed at high end makeup that's overly and elaborately and expensively packaged

Honored Contributor

The only reason I look at the packaging is to see what COLOR the product is...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

It lives in a drawer in my bathroom or in a bag in my purse. As long as the packaging is functional and sturdy, I don’t care.

I love a themed palette. Sometimes I buy makeup just because it’s cute. Sometimes, like with that Baby Yoda, palette, I buy it because it’s cute and find out how wearable it is. I ordered that Winnie the Pooh palette and can’t wait to get it.
Honored Contributor

The person in charge of packaging at the cosmetic co. has bad taste.  Simple would be a more pleasing option for the packaging.  Maybe someone will wakeup.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

For 99% of the makeup I have my closet and I are the only ones who ever see it. I don't care about what the packaging looks like and my closet has no objection either. The only thing I don't like are when components are very hard to open. That does irk me and tends to happen somewhat more with less expensive cosmetic products.