Honored Contributor

Re: Why is QVC allowing Doris Dalton to deceive?

I think HSN is the most egregious with deceptive claims from the hosts. I've seen vendors try to correct them like when Amy tried to give one makeup artist's products powers that it didn't actually have for anti-aging. Nope it's just concealer! It was the blonde from What Not to Wear. I forget her name now but the look on her face when Amy was making her claims was priceless! I've seen this type of thing a few times with many different products
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mellie32 wrote:

I will humbly eat my words and apologize if I'm wrong.  I don't have the foundation to try it myself, but I would love to see someone who isn't Doris Dalton do the demonstration.

You could at least try the marker on your skin and then "brush it off."  Then you could try putting a different foundation on it or even just water to see if it dissolves.  Your original claim isn't just that the foundation can't cover it but that it basically wouldn't have to because the marker brushes off.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

The ODO --- she's using red and blue DRY ERASE markers and saying that her foundation covers up the markers.  It doesn't --- it simply brushes the marker away.

Huh?   I'm not sure I understand your point.  Who uses markers on their face and then covers the marks with foundation?    And why would this mean anything to the rest of us?

It was to show how it covers facial discoloration and melisma, etc. which does not wash away like DRY ERASE markers!

Honored Contributor

One time I was watching a demo about some kind of neck-firming treatment and they showed the model in a pic before the treatment...she had a saggy neck. Then they showed her live...omg you could see the model had some scotch tape on the back sides of of her neck to pull the skin back to make it look tight...unbelievble.Woman Surprised If I recall, it was one of Wei's product on hsn.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
I think HSN is the most egregious with deceptive claims from the hosts. I've seen vendors try to correct them like when Amy tried to give one makeup artist's products powers that it didn't actually have for anti-aging. Nope it's just concealer! It was the blonde from What Not to Wear. I forget her name now but the look on her face when Amy was making her claims was priceless! I've seen this type of thing a few times with many different products

@Andreatoo, it was Carmindy.

Amy is cute and all but IMO she is the worst host.  I cannot even watch Beauty Report. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Andreatoo, it was Carmindy.

Amy is cute and all but IMO she is the worst host.  I cannot even watch Beauty Report. 

Unfortunately, I have stopped watching it as well, too much gasping and saying every product is the absolute best, I realize they are shopping hosts and their job is to sell the products to us, but Amy contradicts herself far too often and talks way too fast. You can tell she loves her Beauty products, but she just needs to do more research prior to her shows, I think....She is a doll though.

Respected Contributor

Well I just found a dry erase blue pen in DH's desk and tried the test (with her foundation) and yes it comes right off but you have to act fast, before it dries....just like Doris does. I also noticed that she is careful not to show just what kind of pen she is using in her demo. If it was a magic marker....way different results.No coverage at all. She should stop doing this particular demo on the foundation IMHO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay regarding the dry erase marker test with DD foundation I did it four times- twice quickly after I put the marker on my hand and twice after letting it dry for a few minutes. I also varied the amount of pressure I used with the brush- once done lightly and once done more vigorously. Every time it wiped away the marker. Every time.

I also tried the exact same test with a few other foundations I have, some which are very sheer, and all of them did the same thing- as soon as you use a foundation brush and apply the foundation, the marker "disappears". There is no way some of my sheerer foundations would ever cover that red from the marker so it clearly is breaking the color down and disappearing. If you gently try to wipe away just the top layer of foundation, you cannot see a red line anymore which tells me it is gone.

By the way, I do want to say that when I first saw Doris do the marker test, she had had it on her hand for quite awhile and then tried to cover it up and the foundation did NOT cover up the blue and red lines! She was a bit embarassed and the host, sandra I believe it was, told her perhaps it needs a bit more foundation so she applied more and rubbed rubbed rubbed with the brush and whew luckily it finally "covered" the lines. I think after that I noticed she started marking her hand just prior to adding the foundation and, perhaps but I cannot say this for sure, she started using different markers on the subsequent demos.

I am not calling any poster here a liar but I can definitively say that in my demo with dry erase markers and her foundation, it does not cover up the lines but actually removes the line with the foundation and brush.  I have no agenda either- I do not dislike Doris nor do I love her. I simply have no thoughts about her personally, but I do believe the demo is not a fair one.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze,

Thank you for performing your "experiment" ...LOL! Woman LOL Very scientific and proved a point very well.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@HappyDaze,

Thank you for performing your "experiment" ...LOL! Woman LOL Very scientific and proved a point very well.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee lol thanks. Smiley Happy