Honored Contributor

Why is Harbor Freight Open But Sephora Isn't???

My husband asked me to drive with him to the city to buy a part for his tiller.  Drive two hours round trip to a "guy place" and I can't go to Sephora because it's not open?  I need a Sephora fix!  But I'll go because I'm a good wife and I need a reason to put on some makeup and get out of the house! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Why is Harbor Freight Open But Sephora Isn't???

Harbor Freight is probably classified as an essential hardware store whereas cosmetics are non-essential.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

never know when a toilet will break and you might need a part to fix it.

Respected Contributor

Harbor Freight is considered essential just like Home Depot, Lowe’s. Sephora is most definitely not essential lol

Respected Contributor

Because a functioning tiller is more essential than mascara.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Yes, hardware seems more essential than beauty products.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

My husband asked me to drive with him to the city to buy a part for his tiller.  Drive two hours round trip to a "guy place" and I can't go to Sephora because it's not open?  I need a Sephora fix!  But I'll go because I'm a good wife and I need a reason to put on some makeup and get out of the house! Smiley Happy

People need to maintain the homes and farms they're sheltering in and take care of their plants and animals. Beauty stores with testers and closely packed aisles do not need to be open right now. Mascara is lightweight and can easily be shipped to your home from online.

Tractor Supply is great as well, by the way. If you need basic pet supplies the prices are good and you can order online and then go to the store and they will put it in the back of your car or truck.

For beauty items just go online. If you could go inside a Sephora right now you would not be allowed to handle or swatch any products there anyway. In store swatching may be going away for good, and for good reason.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm Hardware stores and stores like it are not "guy" places, there's plenty of women that frequent those stores, like me.  Going to Home Depot later to buy more string for my weed whacker and some paint for my woodwork.  These stores are essential.  Sephora is not  imo.

Honored Contributor

It's owned by MEN (????)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Easy - Harbor Freight sells tools and equipment - most construction companies (in my state anyway) are considered essential.  Same reason Lowes and HD are open.  As much as I like makeup, there is nothing essential about lipstick.