Valued Contributor

Why does my skin look drier when ...

Why does my skin look drier and wrinkles appear worse when I use items with ingredients that nourish and hold in moisture like AHA ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why does my skin look drier when ...

@shy bobcat wrote:

Why does my skin look drier and wrinkles appear worse when I use items with ingredients that nourish and hold in moisture like AHA ?

AHAs are exfoliants. I wouldn't say they nourish OR hold moisture in. Overuse of AHAs or using an AHA that's too strong can dry and irritate skin.

That's all I can say about it without knowing anything about the products you are using.

Are you confusing hyaluronic acid with Alpha Hydroxy Acids?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@shy bobcat wrote:

AHAs are exfoliants. I wouldn't say they nourish OR hold moisture in. Overuse of AHAs or using an AHA that's too strong can dry and irritate skin.

That's all I can say about it without knowing anything about the products you are using.

Are you confusing hyaluronic acid with Alpha Hydroxy Acids?

@ChynnaBlue I was thinking the same thing, perhaps @shy bobcat meant HA because AHAs aren't known for being nourishing or holding in moisture? Maybe she can clarify?

Valued Contributor

Yes, I am confused with beauty ingred.  More often than not, I believe advertisements and do not research the ingredients.  I am glad to learn from your wisdom.  Ladies, you are the best.  

Honored Contributor

If your skin is drier after using an AHA, you might want to do a few things:

• Reduce use of the AHA - start with 1-3 times a week and work your way up to once every other day or once a day.
  • After the AHA sits a while, make sure you follow up with a good moisturizer
  • If your AHA is IN your moisturizer, consider alternating with a moisturizer without, building up

You may want to get a serum or moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. That really will help with moisture and wrinkles. If you use it in a serum, make sure you use a moisturizer over the serum. It's easy to get a moisturizing serum and feel like you can skip a moisturizer, but you shouldn't. A good moisturizer acts as a moisture barrier, sealing moisture in.

And you'll really need to do more than trust advertisements. (That goes for everything, not just skincare.) Advertisers are paid to get your money, not to give you useful information or tell you the truth. That goes for QVC reps, as well. They have ONE goal - to get your money.

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat  These ladies are the best.  @ChynnaBlue @HappyDaze They sure helped me find Paulas Choice. .I am just starting but with great results so far.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma than you, that was nice of you to say. Smiley Happy