Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

@SahmIam that's exactly what I just said, I'm the bad guy.  This is the same board and posters that took/take shots at all the hosts and modlels/vendors.   I believe I hit a nerve because some of them are guilty of what I brought up and others haven't reached that point in life yet.  Well if they're lucky they'll get there someday and they'll understand how hard it gets.   I have to laugh because these 20 something's are running to get Botox , what the heck are they going to do when they're 40. When I was very young, a smart lady told me "you never know what life is going to bring your way so to be kind to everyone along the way."  Best advice I ever got.

I have never taken shots at hosts, vendors or models and, in fact, I stick up for them when other people do, even regardless of my own personal feelings about them. Not all posts were nasty-several were thoughtful responses-but I didn't know you only wanted to hear from those that agree with you. Those that didn't agree with you are either hypocrites or "haven't gotten there yet" -not sure what that means but I sure hope I never get to where I worry about what others do and judge my friends so harshly.

I like what another poster said- next time your friends complain and you don't want to hear it, tell them you are getting bored of their complaints and action not words!

Esteemed Contributor

@ZoetheCat. You and me are in the same boat.  I have a family member that complains about issues in her appearance that are EASY fixes.  I've given her advice, products, but she never uses anything and just complains.   Yet they talk about me because I do research and if I find something that helps I use it.  I still add to my wardrobe but I'm a real savvy shopper and literally pay a fraction for items.  Lol wait until they see the shoes I just bought, $250 shoes for a mere $40.  That's my drug. 

Valued Contributor

I think the vitriol you are getting are from posters who recognize themselves in what your friends do. Complaining but not doing anything. I know people just like that. 

I go to work everyday and look like a professional, but it's my choice to maintain. I watched my mom "let herself go" physically, yet she does her face and clothes even when she was in rehab after her hip replacement.  I firmly believe she wouldn't have needed it if she didn't gain so much weight.   

So, @ANewHue I just want you to know I understand what you meant and unlike others didn't take it wrong because I am great at reading comprehension. 

Super Contributor

@RedHead handbag queen wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

I have to say I'm a little surprised at the vitriol directed at the OP.  I, too, love to put my best foot forward when I leave the house.  At 54 (55 in a few weeks!), I know that my best days in terms of my looks are behind me.  But I like to look my best.  I love fashion and I try to stay in shape.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  Is it the most important thing in the world?  Of course not.  But I love it anyway.

Having said that, of course it is understandable that people (both men and women) who are having health concerns are not so worried about how they look when they go to the grocery store.  I don't think any of use should judge them.  But I don't think that's what the OP was referring to.  I think we all know people who have "given up."  Not because they have health issues, but because they just don't care anymore.  That is certainly their perogative, and it doesn't affect me at all, but to be honest I don't understand it.  I know that eventually I will lose the battle as well (isn't that the human condition?), but until then, I'm going to go down fighting.

And, by the way, I just took my 88 year old mom to dinner tonight.  She has several health challenges (she's 88 after all!), but she got dressed up, looked great and we had a wonderful evening.  There is something to be said for putting your face on, getting dressed up and putting your best foot forward.

That's an assumption on your part, there are many illnesses that are not "visiable" and just because you are friends doesn't mean you know everything about them. 

I understand that all illnesses are not visible. But, let's be honest.  There are many people who have simply given up, not due to illness but because they just don't care anymore.  I know several people, friends and family, who will admit to that.  No reason, they just don't care.  That is their right.  I love them anyway.  I just disagree with them.

Incidentally, I have a dear friend who was diagnosed with cancer last year.  I took her to chemo and radiation treatments and she was obviously not concerned with her appearance.  She was just focused on getting better.  Totally understandable!  But now that she is through her treatment and cancer free (yeah!), she is loving the chance to shop again.  It's all good ...

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze Are you saying some of these posts aren't judging me?   Some of them are downright nasty.  All I was trying to say was, people complain , they ask for your help, you help them and they don  t do what they need to help THEMSELVES. Then they are so miserable with themselves that you become their target merely for doing what you need and want to do For you. .  That's it.   Darn, I was judged for NOT being good to friends because I called them lazy/cheap.  Well what would you call it.  I gave someone an expensive item to use to fix a problem and she NEVER even opened it but continues to complain.  What do you call that?

Esteemed Contributor

@lianne wrote:

I think the vitriol you are getting are from posters who recognize themselves in what your friends do. Complaining but not doing anything. I know people just like that. 

I go to work everyday and look like a professional, but it's my choice to maintain. I watched my mom "let herself go" physically, yet she does her face and clothes even w@hen she was in rehab after her hip replacement.  I firmly believe she wouldn't have needed it if she didn't gain so much weight.   

So, @ANewHue I just want you to know I understand what you meant and unlike others didn't take it wrong because I am great at reading comprehension. ,

@lianne  Exactly, thank you, YOU get the WHOLE thing!

Honored Contributor

I think the women who take care of themselves as they age; who use skincare products andmakeup and dress fashionably and wear jewelry and maintain their hair are the women who always took pride in themselves and did those things.  It''s who they are and they continue being themselves throughout their lives.  They look good and therefore, they feel good.  My bff is 74, soon to be 75 and she's every bit as much of a secksy glamour girl now as she was when she was 50.  I work remotely from my home three days a week now (love it) and a co worker was amused when I said that I still get up at my regular time and I put on makeup and jewelry and then I sit at my laptop to work.  I she really didn't "get it" at all.  If would feel like myself it schlepped around the house in sweat pants and a raggedy tee shirt and a bare face.  I'd feel awful about myself. 

Contributor

Poor Joan. I still feel sick about her death. It is as tho I lost a family member. She was such an inspiration. She ran circles around women half her age! She would always make me smile when she was on TV....I always thought and hoped she'd live to 100 like some of the past big-time comedians.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

Seriously!  I call those women smart, brilliant women.  They do that because they don't want to end up with those dried up, brown, splotch prune faces.  Not to mention skin cancer.  Sunscreen helps but it doesn't give anyone 100% protection.  WE still have protect ourselves from sunlight. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Europeana Me too. When I was little watching her on Johnny Carson I never thought that she would become such an inspiration to me later in life. She was a smart lady and class act.  How I would run to the TV when she was on because I knew she would make me laugh.  I would give anything to hear her tell her bee story again.