Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I don't think it is fair to say that someone who doesn't wear makeup  or doesn't wear clothes you deem as "nice" isn't takig care of themselves or is "letting themselves go". I think that is a pretty judgemental thing to say. I also think that you don't have any idea what some people are going through in terms of their weight or their fitness. I see some of the same people at the gym all the time and they work out hard but are still heavy and not very toned but they ARE exercising and sometimes harder than me! You may have looked at those people and assumed they don't do "basic" exercise and you'd be wrong.

I don't know, I really respect you but to make such broad assumptions about other women is a little unfair.

With that said,  I am like you- I eat well, I exercise regularly and have all my life and I've never been overweight. I also enjoy wearing makeup but I have gone out in public without it because, frankly, I have good skin and can look almost as good without at and sometimes I just don't have the time or energy. That may not be true as I get older but for now, I fee confident not wearing too.  However, what others do and do don't do really isn't a concern of mine- I am just trying to stay healthy and fit and live a long life, I don't have time nor energy to worry about anyone else (but my family of course)!

And although I don't think most people think exercising, wearing makeup or dressing "right" (whatever that means?) is overindulgent,   I ceratinly think s

ome may feel using the E.G.G (whatever that is?), Lightstim and Juverderm is overindulgent so I suppose it depends on your perspective.

happydaze, well perhaps I should have been clearer.  These are women I know, not just women I see women who have no serious illness that I'm aware of,   If anyone was being judged , it was me.  Many feel I'm the one that's overindulgent because I took care of myself throughout the years,   I went through illness and live with it,  but I knew that if I didn't help myself no one else was going to do it for me.    And I didn't mention weight.  I know some women that cry that they want to change things about themselves, have plenty of  $$$ to do whatever but would rather go out to drink or buy massive amounts of food.  And then they complain about their appearance, I.e, my hair is thinning, clothes don't fit right and on and on.   No one can do it but them.  

Honored Contributor

@lovethgedress wrote:

Why do women feel the need to criticize how other women look?

Because some women never leave junior high mentally. It makes her feel better to put other women down. It's sad really.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

You go, girl!

********************Sorry about all of your posts.  I can't imagine how many servers Q has to have to carry on all of their operations, but I'd bet that's it!

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I don't think it is fair to say that someone who doesn't wear makeup  or doesn't wear clothes you deem as "nice" isn't takig care of themselves or is "letting themselves go". I think that is a pretty judgemental thing to say. I also think that you don't have any idea what some people are going through in terms of their weight or their fitness. I see some of the same people at the gym all the time and they work out hard but are still heavy and not very toned but they ARE exercising and sometimes harder than me! You may have looked at those people and assumed they don't do "basic" exercise and you'd be wrong.

I don't know, I really respect you but to make such broad assumptions about other women is a little unfair.

With that said,  I am like you- I eat well, I exercise regularly and have all my life and I've never been overweight. I also enjoy wearing makeup but I have gone out in public without it because, frankly, I have good skin and can look almost as good without at and sometimes I just don't have the time or energy. That may not be true as I get older but for now, I fee confident not wearing too.  However, what others do and do don't do really isn't a concern of mine- I am just trying to stay healthy and fit and live a long life, I don't have time nor energy to worry about anyone else (but my family of course)!

And although I don't think most people think exercising, wearing makeup or dressing "right" (whatever that means?) is overindulgent,   I ceratinly think some may feel using the E.G.G (whatever that is?), Lightstim and Juverderm is overindulgent so I suppose it depends on your perspective.

Evidentially I wasn't clear.  These are woman I know.  The same woman who have no illness and just complain about their appearance constantly.   If anyone is being judged its me because I care about my appearance,   They have the means to do whatever they want and complain and complain about their issues.   Well maybe they need to spend some of their dollars fixing what they want to instead of complaining about them.  I went through illnesses and live with illness but I knew if I didn't help myself no one was going to do it for me.

Honored Contributor

OP, it's the following part of your opening post that made me think that you were indeed judging others:

"I'm so surprised how many women let themselves go as they age.  I've met so many over the past few months that just don't care.  I never go out without any makeup even if it's to the grocery store."

I read this as your saying that if you should see me out and about without any makeup on, it means that I just don't care and that I am letting myself go. That is rather harshly critical.

And see, the thing is, YOU care, but many, many other women don't. And there's nothing inherently wrong with not caring to put makeup on one's face. Some women don't like makeup. Period. That has zero to do with letting yourself go.

To me, letting yourself go has more to do with your health than it has to do with mascara and lip gloss.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@ANewHue I know you didn't mention weight per se but you did say why do women let themselves go and talked about "basic exercise". My point was that you have no idea who does exercise and who doesn't just based on looks (i.e weight and tone).

I suppose the reason we are responding the way we are is because your OP seemed to focus more on you judging other women rather than that you apparently are the target of judging by your friends? Perhaps the responses would have been different.

Esteemed Contributor

So you're wondering why many women let themselves go as they age......is that all you have to think about?!  Maybe you should take up a hobby to occupy the empty air around you........

@ANewHue wrote:

I'm so surprised how many women let themselves go as they age.  I've met so many over the past few months that just don't care.  I never go out without any makeup even if it's to the grocery store.   I recently had a conversation with a slightly younger family member and she said "you look so good, you know that right, you really take care of yourself."  My response was "well if I don't who will. 

I don't think basic exercise, eating right and dressing nice is overindulgent, do you?  I'm asking this because some do,  I don't do anything differently that I did in my 30's,  oh yes I do use the E.G.G. And  Lightstim now.lol  And may even get some Juvederm soon.  I know I'm not going to win the ultimate battle but I'm going to have fun while I'm here.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

It was nice that your family member notices the effort that you put into your appearance & let you know that she notices. That said, I don't feel like being relaxed & comfortable about my person means that I have let myself go. I am clean. LOL. But, I don't style my hair or do a full face of makeup every time I run to town. I've never been fashionable. I don't have the gene. I've never had my teeth whitened or anything lifted or filled. It just doesn't interest me. I have just enough vanity to make me put on decent clothes, but not enough vanity to make much more of an effort than that. I don't mind that you do. I hope you don't mind that I don't!

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ANewHue I know you didn't mention weight per se but you did say why do women let themselves go and talked about "basic exercise". My point was that you have no idea who does exercise and who doesn't just based on looks (i.e weight and tone).

I suppose the reason we are responding the way we are is because your OP seemed to focus more on you judging other women rather than that you apparently are the target of judging by your friends? Perhaps the responses would have been different.

@HappyDaze go up and read my later post if you didn't.  These are women I know, people who complain weekly their clothes don't fit, their hair is thinning.  They have plenty of money to fix their problems instead of constantly complaining.   They are just lazy and cheap. Once one of them t hought it was funny that she went out bra less (and she is one person that shouldn't do that)  to shock people and laughed about it.

Honored Contributor

Not wearing makeup is not letting yourself go. It's being true to yourself. We don't need to be complimented to be happy with ourselves.