Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Women can be so mean ,and judgemental to other women.

That is so true, but aren't you sometimes appreciative of the constructive criticism?

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

That is so true, but aren't you sometimes appreciative of the constructive criticism?

I don't know about @goldensrbest, but I think criticism along the lines of "Why do you let yourself go?" would not in any way make me appreciative.

If I ask a trusted person for an opinion about something fashion- or makeup-related, I would hope that this person would answer honestly but also compassionately. If I don't ask someone for an opinion, I don't want someone weighing in -- unless of course it's to tell me that my jeans are split in the rear or that toilet paper is stuck to my skirt.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

@MRSTH wrote:

Some women (people) have other priorities.
Some women don't think makeup looks good- on anyone.
Some women prefer to take care of their skin & let their natural beauty show,  rather than covering & dulling their skin with makeup.
Some women realize that makeup can make you look older (when we're tweens/teens, we wear makeup to look older, because, that's what it often does).
Some women are English (tons of makeup); some women are French (bare minimum or none).....they have very different approaches.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....it's also cultural......

This is how I feel. I take good care of my skin, it's the best it's ever looked and I'm 51. In my younger years I've battled acne and would never leave the house without makeup. I was trying to cover my flaws. Once I got on a good skin care regimen my makeup became less and less. Now I don't wear makeup daily anymore. If I do it is with an extremely light hand. Too much looks aging and sort of drag queeny.

@Tsukiko

@ILTH

This sounds like two entries on my daughter's FB page in the last week, where my previously non-judgemental daughter slammed women who wear make-up of any sort and people who are obese.  I was very taken aback with her entries.

Without make-up, I've got nothing going for me: large head, high forehead, slightly protruding eyes, large upper and lower lids, facial musculature runs vertical vice the desired horizontal and my hair was white when I was 33.

Professionally, I needed to look better than I was, so consulted a make-up artist.  Everything is on the light not heavy side and I will continue as such until I leave this world.

Funny thing about my daugter: she has those stretchy rings in her ears, 17 piercings, fullback tats, whole leg tat, half arm tat.  She's going after those whose body modification includes non-permanent make-up.  She needs an attitude adjustment.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

Since I spent the afternoon at the salon, this is right up my alley today.  I don't want to let myself go and have embarked on an exercise program to lose seven pounds.  I always feel so much better about myself when my hair is properly cut and my hairdresser's wonderful Redken glaze is new and shiny! 

In the summer of 2010 I had a particularly ugly bout of alopecia areata (it's otherwise been only one small bald spot hidden among my curls) and couldn't get my hair cut for about 8-10 months.  I had a big bald spot about 2x2" or more on the TOP OF MY HEAD for a few months, among other spots.  I was so upset that I couldn't eat much and my dungarees were literally falling off.  I had to buy a belt to keep them up. 

My hairdresser and I were talking today about how five years ago almost to the day my hair had fully grown in and I was able to visit her again for a cut and color.  I felt as if I had a new lease on life. Over the years, I've taught my hairdresser a lot about gardening, and she is teaching me about how to start running.  I'm walking but am wondering whether I want to run.  It's a nice way to spend an afternoon.

I think it's up to the individual to decide how they want to look.  People have different priorities in their lives, and as long as they're not harming their health it's up to them.  Some of the most well-kept women can look hard and unattractive if they're not nice, and some of the most slap-dash ladies can look beautiful even if they're not model thin and dressed to the nines.  Had I the $$$ I'd probably spend even more time at the salon, among other places.  I have to admit that I'm vain and on a bad day probably look b&&chy and unattractive when I'm really ticked off.  C'est la vie!  We all must be who we are.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

@ANewHue wrote:

I'm so surprised how many women let themselves go as they age.  I've met so many over the past few months that just don't care.  I never go out without any makeup even if it's to the grocery store.   I recently had a conversation with a slightly younger family member and she said "you look so good, you know that right, you really take care of yourself."  My response was "well if I don't who will. 

I don't think basic exercise, eating right and dressing nice is overindulgent, do you?  I'm asking this because some do,  I don't do anything differently that I did in my 30's,  oh yes I do use the E.G.G. And  Lightstim now.lol  And may even get some Juvederm soon.  I know I'm not going to win the ultimate battle but I'm going to have fun while I'm here.

***************  You asked if these were overindulgent???  None of these things are wrong in and of themselves.  I guess we each have to ask ourselves if we are overindulging.  One year.... years ago.... I decided to keep track of what I was spending on myself on some of these things (at least the beauty related things...hair, makeup, etc).  I was shocked when I added it up!

Try adding up sometime how much you spend on yourself.... and then add up how much you give to charities and other organizations that could use help.  I think many of us would be surprised just how much we do spend on ourselves verses what we give to others. From what I am seeing, it has gotten totally out of hand....the, "I'm worth it" thing.   

I am not pointing a finger at anyone because I have no room to talk.  Just saying...... might want to take inventory and see. It was a "wakeup" call for me for sure.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

When someone is mean or judgemental, generally, the condemnation is coming from someone with their own self-esteem issues. That covers both men and women.

Confident people do not find it necessary to critique how people dress or carry themselves......especially their friends.

Respected Contributor

I try not to assume that the people you see always look the way they do.  I dress for work and put a lot of effort in putting my best foot forward but I have run to the store to get cough meds for my son in leggings a and t-shirt with a baseball hat and pony tail.

What you see may not be what the person always looks like.  Trust me the baseball hat look always guarantees me running into someone I know and wishing I wore something else, LOL.  

I have a husband and two boys, I run about 80-100 miles a month, eat healthy, take care of  my skin and floss my teeth every night but all of this does not guarantee that someone that I don't know wont see me at my worst.  I try hard not to judge someone by the way they look, they could be getting their kid cough meds ....

Deb

Trusted Contributor

Honestly, I go out with little to no makeup most of the time now.  It's for several reasons, first because the older I get, the better care I take of my skin and it shows.  Second reason is makeup doesnt look as good as it once did so why would I continue knowing I look better without.  I also don't have the time I once had and my values have changed.  I'm not as worried or concerned about being "perfect" anymore.  My direction is to be my best, not everyone elses version of perfect ot good. 

Bottom line is because I look fine and even better without, so why do I care what others think? 

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I think most are missing the point of this post.  The OP isn't judging those she hasn't met.  She is speaking of those she knows who consistently complain about wanting to change and probably feel better about themselves.  I also have friends who whine about wanting to look and feel better about themselves but backslide in the opposite way instead.   IF they didn't go on and on about feeling so poorly about themselves since retirement, than I would never give a secnd thought to how they chose to look.  OP stated in a subsequent post: 

"These are women I know, not just women I see women who have no serious illness that I'm aware of,   If anyone was being judged , it was me.  Many feel I'm the one that's overindulgent because I took care of myself throughout the years,   I went through illness and live with it,  but I knew that if I didn't help myself no one else was going to do it for me.    And I didn't mention weight.  I know some women that cry that they want to change things about themselves, have plenty of  $$$ to do whatever but would rather go out to drink or buy massive amounts of food.  And then they complain about their appearance, I.e, my hair is thinning, clothes don't fit right and on and on.   No one can do it but them.  "

I think those ladies need to reach a turning point.  I lost about 60lbs about 3 years ago. I think I just got lazy and was consumed by my job and I think I just didn't notice that I had stopped caring about myself.  I was working on taking care of my boys, my job was crazy and I just hadn't hit a turning point. 

Everyone has their own "ah ha" moment and hopefully when they do get there, they have the strenght and courage to do something about it.  I now run about 80 or so miles a month, eat right and just generally try and love myseft.  I makes me a better partner to my husband and mom for my kids.

Regular Contributor

My husband and I don't need to worry what others think....I work fulltime and I enjoy the weekends not having to worry about what shall I wear put on makeup etc... Do you really think people at the store are going to remember us dressed in sweat pants or no makeup on?????????  I find people like you fake...Sorry...