Trusted Contributor

My daughter-in-law is 36 years old and in all the days I've known her, she has never done a thing to her hair or face except wash them daily.  He hair is very long, she wears it parted on the side and then just lets it hang.  Never ever does she wear one bit of makeup unless she is going out for a special occasion, then she will wear a clear lip gloss and a mascara.  She is a woman who would benefit greatly from a little foundation and some blush.  She simply doesn't want to bother with it.

My son's job requires him to attend several dinners, cocktail parties and the like where wives  are included.  I think she has two dresses she alternates between all year round.  He has mentioned to me before that he is uncomfortable she doesn't do anything with her face or her hair when they attend these occasions, as all of the other wives attending look as though they put some effort into their appearance.  I have told him I am not touching that one on a bet, he knew she wasn't a makeup wearer, hair fixer when he dated and married her.

She is always going to be this way.  I think that is how it is for many older women; it's not that they don't care, it's just somethin they have never done and don't want to bother with it at any age.

What does surprise me is my daughter-in-law's mother and sister always look pretty with just enough makeup and hair done so nicely, I always hope that one of them will say something to her...maybe they have. 

Trusted Contributor

Some women (people) have other priorities.
Some women don't think makeup looks good- on anyone.
Some women prefer to take care of their skin & let their natural beauty show,  rather than covering & dulling their skin with makeup.
Some women realize that makeup can make you look older (when we're tweens/teens, we wear makeup to look older, because, that's what it often does).
Some women are English (tons of makeup); some women are French (bare minimum or none).....they have very different approaches.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....it's also cultural......

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

I live in Florida now.  We do go outside.  But I rarely (really never) see anyone "laying out" in the sun.

I was in Florida on business and saw A LOT of extremely tan seniors, so they must be laying out in the sun somewhere.

Trusted Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@brewhaha wrote:

Not wearing makeup is not letting yourself go. It's being true to yourself. We don't need to be complimented to be happy with ourselves.

Personally, I only wear a tinted moisturizer and maybe some foundation on a daily basis.  I will only use blush and mascara for very special occations.  Rarer still would be eyeshadow -- even in my younger days I did not like to wear it.  And lipstick -- just kind of gross.  You either end up eating it or getting it all over your mugs and water bottles.  Lipstick that does not come off does not appeal to me either.

My two cents 

1.  Men don't wear makeup.  (at least the kind of men I would be interested in).  Why do women feel they have to?  Women can still look their best without a face full of goo.

2.  A full made up face, like some of the QVC hosts, looks goth, gross, and just plain disturbing to me.  I would never want to wear so much makeup that others would not recognize me if I did not have it on.  A clean, natural face looks best in my opinion.

The point is that everyone looks best with a little makeup, without exception.  You yourself say you wear makeup for special occassions.  For many every day is special.  Nothing wrong with wanting to look your best.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

At the ripe old age of 15yrs old, I got ready for a date with my boyfriend(now DH) Mom said I could put on a bit of mascara and rouge(blush, nowadays) and a bit of lipstick.  GOSH, I felt so pretty and glamorous.  Go into living room, BF says go wash your face, we aren't going to the PIKE!!!  After I washed my faced, he says, you have natural beauty, you don't need to look like a *hore.   How could I feel bad after that.  

I have figured out why at the ripe old age of 69, I don't get all made up, Ican't see without my glasses.  Even magnifing mirrors aren't strong enough for me to see.  I go out in sunlight and OMG!!!!!I LOOK ABSOLUTELY GROSS!!!!!!!!!  So I have let myself go.  Next time I get glasses, I'll ask they get made into flip down lenses so I can see what I am doing.-----------tedEbear

Wow!!! .... he must have said it with a great deal of charm, because if a date sent me to wash my face off, I know I'd never go out with him.   He would have been history!    By the way ... what's the Pike?

LOL. That's what I was thinking. No man ever has nor ever will order me to do anything. He would have left my house immediately with only the imprint of my shoe on his backside for company. 

Trusted Contributor

@ElvisShops wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

At the ripe old age of 15yrs old, I got ready for a date with my boyfriend(now DH) Mom said I could put on a bit of mascara and rouge(blush, nowadays) and a bit of lipstick.  GOSH, I felt so pretty and glamorous.  Go into living room, BF says go wash your face, we aren't going to the PIKE!!!  After I washed my faced, he says, you have natural beauty, you don't need to look like a *hore.   How could I feel bad after that.  

I have figured out why at the ripe old age of 69, I don't get all made up, Ican't see without my glasses.  Even magnifing mirrors aren't strong enough for me to see.  I go out in sunlight and OMG!!!!!I LOOK ABSOLUTELY GROSS!!!!!!!!!  So I have let myself go.  Next time I get glasses, I'll ask they get made into flip down lenses so I can see what I am doing.-----------tedEbear

Wow!!! .... he must have said it with a great deal of charm, because if a date sent me to wash my face off, I know I'd never go out with him.   He would have been history!    By the way ... what's the Pike?

LOL. That's what I was thinking. No man ever has nor ever will order me to do anything. He would have left my house immediately with only the imprint of my shoe on his backside for company. 

And she married him??

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

@ElvisShops wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

And she married him??

********* If someone liked me the way I was and he liked me enough to ask me go out.....I would think him a hypocrite to then turn around and tell me what he didn't like.  I would also think him to be manipulating and controling.....not to mention rude!

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Lovethesea wrote:

@ElvisShops wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tedEbear wrote:

And she married him??

********* If someone liked me the way I was and he liked me enough to ask me go out.....I would think him a hypocrite to then turn around and tell me what he didn't like.  I would also think him to be manipulating and controling.....not to mention rude!

OOPS!   Sorry tedEbear....didn't realize until now that you married him. Once in a while I stick my foot in my mouth. I just know that would have hurt my feelings at such a young age and I probably wouldn't have accepted another date.  Didn't mean any offense to you or your husband.....that little stinker!

Valued Contributor

@MRSTH wrote:

Some women (people) have other priorities.
Some women don't think makeup looks good- on anyone.
Some women prefer to take care of their skin & let their natural beauty show,  rather than covering & dulling their skin with makeup.
Some women realize that makeup can make you look older (when we're tweens/teens, we wear makeup to look older, because, that's what it often does).
Some women are English (tons of makeup); some women are French (bare minimum or none).....they have very different approaches.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....it's also cultural......

This is how I feel. I take good care of my skin, it's the best it's ever looked and I'm 51. In my younger years I've battled acne and would never leave the house without makeup. I was trying to cover my flaws. Once I got on a good skin care regimen my makeup became less and less. Now I don't wear makeup daily anymore. If I do it is with an extremely light hand. Too much looks aging and sort of drag queeny.

Honored Contributor

Women can be so mean ,and judgemental to other women.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.