Trusted Contributor

Why do lip gloss tubes leak?

I usually use lip gloss in a little squeeze tube, but it seems like the ones with a twist off cap and the little foam applicator always leak. In my experience, anyway.

I have a Moxie from Bare Minerals that is 1/3 empty but evey morning when I to use it, gloss is dripping down the side. I keep it standing upright on folded tissue or it stains the shelf. I had one from Avon once that leaked all over the inside of my purse.

Weird! Just wondering if that happens to anyone else?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do lip gloss tubes leak?

@PilatesLover,   Check out Becca Cosmetics lip gloss.  It's in a heavy plastic tube that looks like a test tube.  No leaking and their gloss is not overly sticky.  Really nice gloss and I am not a lip gloss gal but l like the neutral shade.  Free shpg. on their site.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover  I've actually never had that happen.  The only brands I've ever used are Mally and Skinn, though.

Laura loves cats!
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it has for me.

I had to kind of figure out why it was happening. When I kept using the same lip gloss over and over again, I looked at the tube at the top where the grooves are at, and some of the gloss eventually migrates onto those grooves on the tube and over time the cap loosens up in your purse to the point where the slippery gloss finds its way out from the loosened cap. So it doesn't matter how tight you screw it on, because the gloss gets in the grooves at the top of the tube, it jostles around in your purse, loosens up, and out it comes. 

At least this is what I think it does...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover

Here's my story:

I was yanking the applicator in and out when I ended up with a mess. 

Looking closely, became obvious to me that I had inadvertently managed to loosen the very top seal (between the tube and the top).

Will try to find a picture.

Image 2.jpg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

Thank you for asking this! Happens to me all the time, I use Doll 10 and it really gets messy in the purse, so now I keep them in cheapy mini makeup bags and pencil bags.

Respected Contributor

Sure does...   have a little tray in the top drawer in my office for my lipsticks and gloss.  The gloss, no matter which kind,  would constantly leak.  Finally just threw it out and went with a chubby gloss pencil  (Nars) !  Solved the problem for me.

Honored Contributor

One reason is heat.  I used to keep one or two in the car console between the seats, bad idea. 

Trusted Contributor

Great replies everyone, thanks!