Contributor

Why did the color of my highlight fade so fast?

I just had my hair highlighted at Ulta last Tuesday and have only washed my hair twice with a Redken color extend shampoo and conditioner. I used cool/ warm water instead of hot water. The color is 90% gone Smiley Sad anyone have a similar experience? For those hair stylist out there, what am I doing wrong? I spent a fortune on this too
Super Contributor

Re: Why did the color of my highlight fade so fast?

Were you out in the sun? I was in California a few months ago and my hair lightened considerably from being in the sun. The other thing you can try doing is using a filter in your shower head. There might be something in your water causing your color to lighten. I now use color holding shampoo and conditioner PLUS a leave in color protector with sun screen....and my hair still fades faster than I'd like.
Regular Contributor

If it was highlighted , which means a lighter color, than it shouldn't fade, sometimes over a period of a couple of weeks highlights get less noticable because of pollution, product buildup, or even can turn darker from well water (usually an orange cast, ugh).  Use a clairifying shampoo and see if it brightens, otherwise go back to the stylist and ask her to help.

Trusted Contributor

There are a number of products on the market that claim to protect hair from UV rays. Google "sun protection for hair".

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Valued Contributor

call them.  Did they use bleach?  Or just a 'color'. 

Respected Contributor

if its only been a week i would call them and have them look at your color. it sounds like they toned the hi-lites after processing  and the toner washed out. something wasnt done properly...

they can hilite several ways, one use a combination of color and developer  like a light blonde cream or gel  tint (level 9 or 10 ) and developer 30volume or so. sometimes they tone if you pull red.

or they can mix dry bleach and a hi-volume developer to lift to a certain level. then wash that out and tone. 

HTH

Respected Contributor

My guess would be like LoriMI. Sounds like they used color not bleach. I've had the same hairdresser for years but friends and family have said many salons are trying to convert them to color to lessen damage. Well it might do that, but it's not gonna last and prob will still cause damage because it takes much longer to lift.
Honored Contributor

I would definitely get myself back to the salon and ask what happened to your highlights?  Highlights should not be 90% gone after 2 washings.

Super Contributor

The same thing happened to me with my last coloring ... my hairdresser reminded me that I spend time in the sun every chance I get ...

Yeah ... that'll do it ....

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It could be one of a few things.  First you probably shouldn't have washed your hair a few times the first week.

Second the stlist might have over lightened the hair.  Sometimes it is better to highlight the hair with a tint  solutions and not a bleach.

Lastly, by the rules, it shouldn't have faded that much.  Unless your hair is damaged, over bleached where the color molecules can not adhere to molecules in cortex.  Color holds color is one of the rules.