Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why all the hair extensions ?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The only concern I have with wearing my topper is that I have to clip the thing onto my existing natural hair which can cause some tugging. So I have to limit the time I wear my topper so it doesn't stress out my real hair.

@SilleeMee   I can understand that ,  it's too bad it can't be put on a different way .

@Kitty Galore 

I'm clipping it on sort of loosely so the tugging is not too bad. I'm also securing it on with a headband so it doesn't move around and cause more tugging. Found some very nice headbands!Woman Happy

@SilleeMee   sounds like you figured out how to wear it and have it work for you !  I'm sure it gives you great confidence,  that's important !

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

My niece has hair extensions, but she looked perfectly fine without them.

My feeling is that if you have real hair issues, and extensions and/or wigs make you feel better, then go for it.

But if you want to pretend that you have longer, thicker, nicer hair than you have, that is a dangerous trend.  Same thing with false eyelashes, breast implants, etc.  I just fear it is going to get to the point that you have to do all these additional procedures just to fit in with everyone else.

It would be nice if women could just be who they are, work with what they have without going to extremes, and be okay with that.

Men, for the most part, do that.  Why don't women?

"Why don't women"? Really? Just turn on tv, social media. Women compete on looks. Men on $$$$$$$$$/Power.

@ahoymate I don't watch those kinds of shows on TV and I try to avoid social media.  Nothing good on there.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

It would be nice if women could just be who they are, work with what they have without going to extremes, and be okay with that.

Men, for the most part, do that.  Why don't women?

@Puppy Lips   Do you know any females who would walk around in public w/the "comb over?"

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 1.45.18 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-03 at 1.45.33 PM.png

There are few females who can get away w/going completely bald by choice outside of being a cancer patient.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 1.50.49 PM.png

@Mz iMac odd that you did not copy my entire post.  I stated that if you have hair issues and feel better with a wig or extensions, I think that is fine.  You should make use of those things that are available.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I guess the same reason the whole world has blossomed out in false eyelashes,

Here's looking at you kid Smiley Wink

KISS Lash Couture Naked Drama Eyelashes Multipack, ‘Ruffle’, 4 Pairs

KISS Lash Couture Naked Drama Eyelashes Multipack, ‘Ruffle’, 4 Pairs

Honored Contributor

I have seen African American women wearing extensions and I think that for the most part they look great!  However, it looks like it is really labor intensive and as a result very expensive to have done.  Not to mention that as others have said damaging to the hair.

As for me, I think it would be fun just to see how it would look much longer.  I guess I can see by trying on a wig. 

My hair is pretty thick but fine & straight.  I have been wearing a bob style for several years and just last month had my stylist make the ends around my neck more layered, thinner and wispy.. I really like how it looks....it's short but not too short.

Honored Contributor

I see it all the time on the News, and Sportscasters, women reporters, actresses, all over. I see some really good extensions, where you wouldn't even know it wasn't their own hair and I also see some that look not so great......

I say Go for It if it makes you feel better, or if you just want a change..... I have heard that long term can damage your hair, but I have never had them so not real sure on all of that.....

Not much different than false eyelashes, and fake nails,etc.......Remember when Colored Contacts were in and people were changing their eye color?

Respected Contributor

I remember yrs ago, when, for yrs, I had an exceptional, beloved Hair Dresser. 

One Day, he was running late, & set me down to look thru the Hair Styles book. 

Come my turn, I brought the pic of the hairdo I wanted.  (I wonder if it was the Dorothy Hamill hair era?).  Kindly, he said to me,     "Sweetie, I cant make hair where there isnt any."        ROFL.     Gives me a Belly Laugh each time I remember him so kindly, breaking that news to me!     heh   (Luv you Ray!)

Respected Contributor

If they are done right and you really can't tell and you need hair, I guess they aren't so bad.  The operative words are "can't tell."

Now, this false eyelash craze to me is ridiculous.  Everyone knows they aren't your lashes.  The older you are the worse you look. None of them look natural.  I work with a woman who is about 65 and she wears them.  We all just shake our heads at her because her mirror is telling her such a lie (and probably others too).  You just can't stop staring at her in meetings thinking why? But obviously she doesn't see it.  She looks like a painted clown with lashes, eye shadow, and who know what she has piled on her face.  The young women look hideous enough but they are young and who didn't push that envelope with hair, makeup and clothes.  But as you mature, my opinion is the more you wear on your face, the older you look.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

I remember yrs ago, when, for yrs, I had an exceptional, beloved Hair Dresser. 

One Day, he was running late, & set me down to look thru the Hair Styles book. 

Come my turn, I brought the pic of the hairdo I wanted.  (I wonder if it was the Dorothy Hamill hair era?).  Kindly, he said to me,     "Sweetie, I cant make hair where there isnt any."        ROFL.     Gives me a Belly Laugh each time I remember him so kindly, breaking that news to me!     heh   (Luv you Ray!)

Image result for dorothy hamill shampoo pictures

I remember the "Short and Sassy" shampoo and conditioner by Dorothy Hamill.  She does have thick hair.

Honored Contributor

I had that Dorothy Hamill haircut for years and in fact just recently found a picture of my then boyfriend and now husband and me with that haircut... he didn't have the Dorothy Hamill haircut, I did.