Honored Contributor

Re: Why add an ugly cheap hand bag or the like with purchase...

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I'm at a point now where I stay away from GWPs .....  I don't need or want any "extras", and don't consider them to be incentives ....  just clutter I don't need.

I have never used a makeup bag in my purse ..... and PLEASE .....  don't offer me any more brushes.   I have enough makeup brushes to last me this lifetime and the next!

Of course, we can always just drop undesireabe "freebies" in the Goodwill box .... but it seems like such a waste .... and we all pay for the "free" stuff one way or another, in the end.

Hi @Tinkrbl44🙂  

Yes...I too have a million brushes....and so do not use brushes anymore😄

I do donate  a lot to good will...many times it is unused makeup or face products as no longer use that I bought too much of. 

Respected Contributor

I remember on one of the soaps that the organic cosmetic line the family was selling would be packaged in paper/cardboard containers that were embedded with wild flower seeds. Rip'em up and plant wherever! I though it was a great idea and was surprised that some real co. didn't steal it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden and everyone else...

Please, please consider donating unused make up and related goods to a women's shelter. So very many of these ladies leave their homes with nothing but fear and pride. A truly worthy place and cause to support. ♡♡♡

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I'm at a point now where I stay away from GWPs .....  I don't need or want any "extras", and don't consider them to be incentives ....  just clutter I don't need.

I have never used a makeup bag in my purse ..... and PLEASE .....  don't offer me any more brushes.   I have enough makeup brushes to last me this lifetime and the next!

Of course, we can always just drop undesireabe "freebies" in the Goodwill box .... but it seems like such a waste .... and we all pay for the "free" stuff one way or another, in the end.

@Tinkrbl44 Thank you so much for saying this!  I thought I was the only one who felt this way.  I had a package come in this week from Nordstrom with a bag of samples included.  There were so many different perfume samples i took my item out and left the box in the garage.  Most perfumes send me into sneezing fits and give me migranes.  

As far as the samples and brushes etc..I'm a sucker for a good brush but my house is starting to need a purge again....so no more sample stuff please! 

Respected Contributor

@rochelleS: Great point! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @on the bay -- I love Erma Bombeck's wisdom and common sense.  I miss her. 

(I buy a product for what's inside, not any fancy package or added gift.  Now.  However, there was a time I bought Clinique products so I could get the GWP's.  What was I thinking?!?)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden. Don’t forget Adrienne Arpel’s gaudy give a way bags w/ purchase. What a turn off!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Some packaging is so cute that I will keep it and use for storage.

@AuntG  I save any metal or heavy plastic palettes to house lipstick (just cut off bits w/ dental floss), skincare for weekend travel (cover w/ plastic wrap before closing cover), cream eye shadows near the end of sticks or pots, etc. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay. I enjoyed your post. While doing more packing at Mom’s apartment yesterday, I discovered a treasure of gift bags and tissue papers. I use the tissue when painting collages...especially if printed, and gift bags are always welcome. I draw the line so I don’t keep too many and not occasion specific. 

I think she had a stash of more Lancôme bags than the company has in stock. She kept calling it a “free gift” even after I explained many times that if she’s purchasing something she’s not out of yet or adding a brow pencil to reach the $ amount to qualify, there’s nothing “free” about it.