Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do Some Wear a Concealer vs Foundation?

The other day I was in a hurry and needed to cover the red areas and broken caps a bit on my face.  I have a concealer stick that I dotted on here and there and smudged it about it and lightly set it with a bit of powder to negate the shine and so it wouldn't rub off.  It looked better than when I apply a full application of foundation!  Since the concealer is thicker, it covers my undesirable spots better -- and it's quicker!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@monicakm I sometimes use foundation as concealer. I sometimes use concealer as foundation. 

I just use my products however I need them. I try not to get sidetracked by what they say that they are for.

Concealer is a small bottle of foundation. Some is pigmented. Some is sheer. Just like foundation.

@Dusty1   I do the same thing.   I no longer wear foundation all over my face but just dot it or the concealer where I need it.  My skin feels so much better that way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same here. I hardly ever wear foundation. I don't like the "made up" look. I can use 2 shades of concealer to spot conceal and my skin looks more natural.

If doing this, of course you'd need 2 shades...one that brightens for under the eyes and the second one the same color as your complexixon to cover redness around the nose, etc.

Some women (YTubers, too) make the mistake of using the same concealer shade all over. Why brighten flaws and areas you want to cover with a light concealer that will brighten and draw attention to it?

***There are lightweight concealers and full coverage concealers. I use lightweight ones that are not full coverage, heavy concealers. Doing that, you may as well dot your foundation where needed. 

Honored Contributor

Blanket statement here, but few women over 45-50 have skin that's so free of any wrinkles or loss of a bit of volume that they can pull off a full coverage foundation + other powder products over that. I've rarely seen that done without a cakey look.

Less is more, as we've all heard. As we age, it's even more important to have a lighter application of makeup and a more natural look. 

It's important that we don't look at TV models, women 30 yrs. younger or celebrities for makeup looks to copy.

Especially the hosts on Q are a good example. They're wearing way too much makeup, but keep in mind, they're not only trying to sell makeup, but also under strong lighting.  Application for our age is much more flattering.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, if we want to look our best, concealers seem necessary. At least for me and over 70. While I prefer a light to medium coverage, when it no longer covers brown spots, I am forced to use a fair amount of concealer to do so. 

I worked at a Merle Norman Cosmetics store for years.  I had a customer in her 80's that used our heaviest makeup, and to me, she always looked like someone 10 or 15 yrs. younger.  She was actually the "prettiest older lady" that ever came to the store.  Anyway, I'm considering going with a Dermablend type makeup and calling it a day rather than conceal my whole face with foundation and concealer. We'll see, I guess! 

Honored Contributor

the only place I wear a concealor is in the inside corners of my eyes, next to the bridge of my nose and across my lids where is kind of reddish---have dark purple skin in the corners of my eyes . But sometimes I do mix in a little bisque with my powder foundation--seems to brighten up a little. Tried just wearing concealor---oh man--looked like a ghost---

Honored Contributor

Thank you ladies. That makes sense with the YouTuber I was watching do this. She has flushed cheeks and lots of either freckles or hyperpigmentation.