Honored Contributor

Why Do Some Wear a Concealer vs Foundation?

I've seen this before (maybe here, I'm not sure) of women applying conceraler on their face instead of foundation.  Why?  What's the benefit?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do Some Wear a Concealer vs Foundation?

@monicakm wrote:

I've seen this before (maybe here, I'm not sure) of women applying conceraler on their face instead of foundation.  Why?  What's the benefit?

If I have redness, I will swap out foundation and just cover any redness. Foundation is just too much for my porcelain complexion and rarely have I ever found a good color match. Even with a primer, they usually oxidize on me. What looks fine in the morning, ends up being too dark by the evening. Concealer stays put and I have had better luck with it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a reddish tone in my complexion and concealer works well along with a primer. I don't have to worry about matching foundation shades or heavy coverage that might not look good. I've been doing this for awhile and see no need to change. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

They like the finish, color, coverage and consistency of their concealer as a foundation.  This is similar to someone that uses their lipstick as a blush or vice versa.

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I don't want or need, to wear a full face of foundation, I can use the concealer where I need to and blend it out. Then I proceed with bronzer or blush. I am not always in need of a fully made up face. Sometimes it is just nice to go lighter.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@monicakm I've seen Jaimie from IT Cosmetics back when she was on and Desiree suggest using the It concealer as foundation. I have mixed it with a bit moisturizer and it did cover very well. I don't do it all the time but I have done it. 

So not to carry so much makeup there are times I will downsize (say when I'm vacationing) my makeup. I may bring a concealer and skip the foundation. Bring a bronzer and a blush that can do double or triple duty.

Some Josie Maran and RMS products are great traveling products and I use them just because I know they meet that requirement for me. I especially like the RMS  Primer and use it in place of foundation when I just feel that I need minimal coverage. It has a nice finish and looks so natural but adds a little something to my skin. 

Honored Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

They like the finish, color, coverage and consistency of their concealer as a foundation.  This is similar to someone that uses their lipstick as a blush or vice versa.

Perfect explanation @persiflage .  (Nice seeing youSmiley Happy )

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @monicakm 

I use concealer most days without fondation or I might use foundation as like concealer.  I only want to spot cover some areas.  I don't always like the look the uniform color foundation gives my skin.  I have what some call peaches and cream skin. A bllanket of foundation takes the rosey-ness out of it.  

Respected Contributor

@monicakm I sometimes use foundation as concealer. I sometimes use concealer as foundation. 

I just use my products however I need them. I try not to get sidetracked by what they say that they are for.

Concealer is a small bottle of foundation. Some is pigmented. Some is sheer. Just like foundation.

Honored Contributor

Foundations are about the finish they provide...matte, dewy, satin...to make you look like you have nice skin. Concealers give brightness and hide flaws with special color-correcting pigments which would need extra blending/contour to give it the right look as a foundation.