Valued Contributor

Why Do I Want Mally's Lip Powder?

i haven't seen a presentation but just saw in on the Home Page.  Has anyone tried lip powders?  I would thik they would be harder to put on that lipstick/gloss etc

What do you think?  Guess I always want something new

Contributor

Re: Why Do I Want Mally's Lip Powder?

I am intrigued also.   I absolutely do not need another lip product, but these seem interesting. 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry to sound like a Debbie Downer but here's my take on lip powder.

I totally understand the feeling of wanting to try it. I love lipstick and am always drawn to wanting to try anything that looks promising and beautiful, but for me, lip powder is on my "don't waste your money" list. Here is one of the first videos I watched about powder lipstick from 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaUiOexs-Bc&t=456s

Chanel also has a beautiful little duo compact that combines a lip balm with a matte powder lipstick for a mere $37(!), but after watching a review (and checking my makeup budget) that too is on my no thank you list.

For me it just seems like it's taking a step backward. First, it's a loose powder, so it's messy. The last thing I want is pigmented lip powder spilled on anything! Second, it's a powder that turns to a creme consistency when it comes into contact with moisture. I don't see the point. Why not start something that's already a beautiful creme? Third, it doesn't look like it applies well. It's patchy and it ends up looking dry pretty quickly. And fourth, some are comparing it to the liquid lip that has long wear staying power but the powder seems to have little, to no, staying power. 

If YouTube hadn't already shown me the down side of lip powder the video here on the Q did. There was little, to nothing, that they did on air to make it seem appealing--which makes me so happy. The last thing I need is one more product I feel like I can't live without! Smiley Very HappySmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand: everything Stacey is trying on looks like nothing. I think I'll wait for some reviews on this one. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, taja123, which is why I believe they changed the video from Stacey's presentation to the current one with the newer host (Elise?). In the video with Stacey she kept trying on one  of the pink shades which never really showed up on her, and the vendor used the nude which also looked like she had nothing on. 

I will say the new video makes it a little more appealing since the pink does show up on the vendor and the nude shows up much better on the darker skinned model. 

The video did remind me of yet one more reason these lipsticks aren't for me and that's the applicator. YouTubers from 2 years ago were complaining about that tiny doe foot connected to that overly large top portion that seems to make it difficult to see where you're putting the product. I don't understand why, after having a couple of years to perfect it, Mally didn't try to come up with a more well designed applicator.

Honestly though, I still feel the pull of wanting to try something I don't have. I keep thinking "I want to feel how light it is!" and "I want to feel how cool it feels when the powder morphs into creme!" but I've vowed to stay strong, lol!

Trusted Contributor

It is not a loose powder. It is in a jar, with a little doe foot applicator.

It turns to cream as soon as it hits your lips. Sort of like Jay Manuel's powder to cream foundation.

I was not really impressed with the presentation. Not because of the powder issue, but it did not look like it went on evenly. It was thin in some parts and thicker in others. Seemed she had to keep using the applicator to push it around to get it even.

I also didn't like the colors.

I also do not need one more lip product. I must have 50 lipsticks that need to be tossed, but I have a hard time throwing away "good product" LOL. Must come from my mother saying "are you throwing away good food? Do you know people are starving?".

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what it being in a jar has to do with it being a loose powder. If you watch the YouTube link (2:14), and even in the Q video (3:45), when the powder is on the doe foot it can be easily blown off the applicator into the air.

In the video Tati says "I wish you guys could see how much powder is flying out of this container. It looks really cool." Granted, once it touches skin it turns to liquid, but in the bottle it very definitely is a loose powder.

Trusted Contributor

@LexPexYou may want it because you're looking for something new and exciting and if a m/u junkie as I have been all my life (a bit better now that I'm older lol) you love makeup! and lippies!

But this seems gimmicky.

Lancome has similar and the sales people say it's not all that and not many buy it. Bet it will be gone from Lancome's line soon.

Try to resistSmiley Tongue. Read tons of reviews and know Mally doesn't keep items long at all if you do love it. You may not be able to get it again. That's my gripe with Mally products.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Valued Contributor

Thanks for saving me $$.  Think I will resist

Regular Contributor

This sounds like the eyeshadow she had maybe 10 years ago.