Regular Contributor

Re: Whole Foods: Rosehip Oil & Dr. Hauschka Lemongrass Oil

OK is Rosehip Oil the same as RHSO (Rosehip Seed Oil)? I read in another post that RHSO contains natural retinol making it something to use to diminish undereye wrinkles. I'll look for it the next time I'm at WF but I want to make sure I know what I'm looking for. Is it always refrigerated?

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2014 StarChild said:

OK is Rosehip Oil the same as RHSO (Rosehip Seed Oil)? I read in another post that RHSO contains natural retinol making it something to use to diminish undereye wrinkles. I'll look for it the next time I'm at WF but I want to make sure I know what I'm looking for. Is it always refrigerated?

yes rosehip seed oil. Most of the time it is not refrigerated in a store though, from my experience. I do refrigerate it once I get it home.

Esteemed Contributor

One ounce of rose hip seed oil lasts about 5 months for me, and I do not need to refrigerate. I use it both a.m. & p.m. Yes, supposed to be good for hair, but I reserve mine for skin.

I've never used lemongrass (or never had the tea, either). Lemongrass is an essential oil. (Essentials are never used full strength on skin; the H body oil sounds nice.) It has antibacterial properties, and is used in aromatherapy.

Super Contributor

On 2/7/2014 sidsmom said:

The Rosehip Oil is Aura Cacia brand. It says to refrigerate & 6 months to use. It was very hard to find here in Dallas. I was on a mission this afternoon...tried drugstores, Walmart/Target, Vitamin Shoppe, Trader Joes...even had to go to 2 different Whole Foods before finding my little treasure!!

The Dr. Hauschka Lemongrass Oil is a body oil (QVC: A208351). Extracts of lemon peel, lemongrass, mistletoe, and horsetail firm skin. The sunflower seed oil is lightweight and rich in essential fatty acids, making it calming and replenishing. And the nourishing jojoba oil helps preserve skin moisture, leaving it soft and supple.

This is the RHSO that I use because it has the components that I was looking for in this type of oil. It's cert. organic and it comes in a dark glass bottle which is my preference when choosing oils that contain inherent vitamins.

Even though it isn't refrigerated prior to shipment (which I would prefer because it's not necessarily the most stable of all the carriers) I do refrigerate when I receive it.

Trusted Contributor

Do any of you have teouble with breakouts from other oils, but are able to use rhso? I cannot use argan as it causes breakouts. Maracuja is not good either but I've read rhso is different....hoping to have luck with an oil, I love the idea of an organic one-ingredients beauty serum. But not if I wake up with blackheads each morning.
Super Contributor

On 2/8/2014 CAshopper2011 said: Do any of you have teouble with breakouts from other oils, but are able to use rhso? I cannot use argan as it causes breakouts. Maracuja is not good either but I've read rhso is different....hoping to have luck with an oil, I love the idea of an organic one-ingredients beauty serum. But not if I wake up with blackheads each morning.

Most often it's trial and error. I can't use straight Coconut oil or Shea Butter (which in essence is an oil) on my face. These are the most problematic for me, so far.

There is an oil that I haven't seen mentioned on this board and I think it's one that's overlooked and worth mentioning which is Meadowfoam Seed oil. I find it to be light with a silky, soothing feel. For someone who may have certain sensitivities it may be an oil worth tying, imo.

You can also do a search and learn about it's properties, along with other oils that you might be interested in and see what will be most suitable for your needs. What may work for one may not work for others.

Honored Contributor

I used it last night on face & around the eyes....but I had "greasy eyeballs"!! Giggle. It's when it migrates & you have to keep blinking to clear your vision...much like Oil Cleansing when removing eye makeup. My grapeseed oil doesn't have that same effect....weird? The Rosehip oil was really light & penetrated quickly...but I'll have to use a separate eye cream in the future.

Meadowfoam Seed Oil sounds exotic! Man, there are so many good ideas here! Just weird that some oils penetrate more than others. I learn so much from you Beauties!!

Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2014 magemay said:
On 2/8/2014 CAshopper2011 said: Do any of you have teouble with breakouts from other oils, but are able to use rhso? I cannot use argan as it causes breakouts. Maracuja is not good either but I've read rhso is different....hoping to have luck with an oil, I love the idea of an organic one-ingredients beauty serum. But not if I wake up with blackheads each morning.

Most often it's trial and error. I can't use straight Coconut oil or Shea Butter (which in essence is an oil) on my face. These are the most problematic for me, so far.

There is an oil that I haven't seen mentioned on this board and I think it's one that's overlooked and worth mentioning which is Meadowfoam Seed oil. I find it to be light with a silky, soothing feel. For someone who may have certain sensitivities it may be an oil worth tying, imo.

You can also do a search and learn about it's properties, along with other oils that you might be interested in and see what will be most suitable for your needs. What may work for one may not work for others.

I wish I could remember the product that I was looking at recently that had Meadowfoam Seed oil in it. Now it's going to drive me nuts.

Very interesting factoid I found on Mountain Rose Herbs:

Aside from these amazing cosmetic uses, Meadowfoam oil is also beneficial for our environment! It was first developed in the 1970’s, and was introduced as an alternative to sperm whale oil in order to protect the species. The pressed seeds are fed to cattle and other livestock, and are a source of nutrients for these animals. While grown in the field, birds, insects, mice, and other critters, also eat the nutritious seeds. The Meadowfoam plants themselves are a renewable crop, and are usually grown as a rotation crop for grass seed farmers. This eliminates the need to burn the fields in between grass seed plantings, and also provides farmers with additional income. Meadowfoam also requires less fertilizer and pesticides than most crops, assisting farmers and the environment. Scientists at Oregon State University and the US Department of Agriculture, as well as other scientists, are all currently studying Meadowfoam oil, in order to discover new applications for this versatile oil.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/8/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I wish I could remember the product that I was looking at recently that had Meadowfoam Seed oil in it. Now it's going to drive me nuts.

Fresh eye cream.

Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2014 Harpa said:
On 2/8/2014 suzyQ3 said:

<em>.</em>

Fresh eye cream.

Fresh's sugar lip polish contains it too. I think he uses meadfoam seed oil in quite a few products.