Honored Contributor

Re: Who uses a very cheap facial cleanser BUT expensive serums/moisturizers, etc.

On 9/14/2014 Mama Deb said:

I just nothing but Purity Made Simply, it has served me well over the past 15 years and I never want to change.

I buy it every summer at the Nordies sale. A 32 ounce bottle and an extra 8 ounce one cost me about $55 or so. That is a little over a year's supply and at the end of the year, I toss what's left--about 1/8 of a bottle--out and start fresh. The huge pump bottle is wonderful in the shower!

Respected Contributor

Re: Who uses a very cheap facial cleanser BUT expensive serums/moisturizers, etc.

A good drugstore cleanser to remove makeup for dry skin is Albolene. A 12 oz Albolene retails for 12.99. The last jar I got on sale for under $10.00 at Drugstore. com. You can also buy this one at Walgreen's. I like it better than Pond's because it is fragrance free.

Albolene Cleansing Concentrate Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser, Unscented- 12 oz

Honored Contributor

I don't really use much that is expensive except for a serum.

I have been through a ton of cleansers from high-end, to drugstore. I found Clean & Clear Foaming face wash for sensitive skin and haven't looked back. It's under $5.00 and totally removes my make-up without drying out my already dry skin. After I had gone through several containers of it I found out it was highly rated by Paula Begoun.

In the morning I use Cetaphil. That cleanser does not remove all my make-up but I like it in the morning when I just have to wash the night off my skin.

People rave about Purity but that is a cleanser that didn't remove all my make-up. I never realized it until I decided to use a toner after I cleansed. I was disgusted by the amount of make-up left behind by this cleanser. That is when I quit using it.

I do not believe in treatment cleansers. Unless you are going to leave the cleanser on your skin for at least 5 minutes, those ingredients aren't doing anything for your skin.

Super Contributor

Yes! My favorite cleanser I have difficulty finding, I think it was 5.00. Clean and Clear morning burst I think it was pineapple.

Now I'm using Purity by Philosophy, not as cheap, but it works ok. I bought it a the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.

I like the cheap stuff better, but I have 32 oz of Purity to use up first.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Come to think of it, my Purity is relatively inexpensive, when you consider that it takes me a little over 1 year to use up a 32oz. It's regularly priced at $52 on Philosophy.com, but I nab it when they have their 30%off sale. BTW - anybody know when the next sale is?

Now! I got a 30% off email just this morning.

Regular Contributor

On 9/14/2014 Goldengate8361 said: I have personally found a few of the cheaper cleansers to be far superior than the expensive ones. In particular, I like Cetaphil, Neutrogenia ultra hydrating cleanser, and Neutrogenia towelettes. I also loved the "moisturizing" version of Noxema--but I think it's been discontinued. I use Josie Maren milk, Dermalogica, and Lancôme moisturizers.

Cetaphil and Neutrogena were moisturizing enough, but neither effectively removed all my makeup. The towelettes did remove my makeup, but were a bit drying. That was a shame, because I loved the convenience of the towelettes!

Colonel Meow, have you tried the neutrogena towelettes in the teal packaging? They are more moisturizing then the ones in the blue packages. CVS has a really good version of them, which I prefer.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Dublingrl said:

Yes! My favorite cleanser I have difficulty finding, I think it was 5.00. Clean and Clear morning burst I think it was pineapple.

Now I'm using Purity by Philosophy, not as cheap, but it works ok. I bought it a the Nordstrom Anniversary sale.

I like the cheap stuff better, but I have 32 oz of Purity to use up first.

I use that. It smells so good. Found it at Wal-Mart.
Super Contributor

I HAVE USED PONDS COLD CREAM FOR YEARS TO TAKE off my makeup then when i get in the shower i wash my face with the Olay Face Wash. Have been using Josie's argan Oil milk then Argan oil

Trusted Contributor

Another vote for Albolene to remove a full face of makeup including mascara. It's cheap, it works and the jar lasts forever.

I wash my face with inexpensive drugstore cleansers that have a pH 5.5-6.0.

I'd rather spend my skincare budget on things like Retin-a, AHA/BHA, and peptide serums than expensive cleansers that get washed down the drain.

Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 aggravated said:

Come to think of it, my Purity is relatively inexpensive, when you consider that it takes me a little over 1 year to use up a 32oz. It's regularly priced at $52 on Philosophy.com, but I nab it when they have their 30%off sale. BTW - anybody know when the next sale is?

Now! I got a 30% off email just this morning.

Thanks! I'll head over tonight!