Super Contributor

Re: Who gets regular massages?

Kimthib makes a good point; I tried several practitioners at the place near my home before settling on one who had the right skills, approach and personality to be beneficial to me. Don't be shy to try out various people and even various venues before settling on one. It's a good investment in your mental and physical well-being.

Trusted Contributor

I used to get a shiatsu massage every 2 weeks for years until the person who I had retired out of the business. It really helped me, I think. I need to start back and get them at least monthly.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Yes, regular massages DO work for me but so does exercise. I think my biggest stress relief is the exercise. I love HiiT and pilates the best. I always feel like I can take on the world after I do these types of workouts. They relieve stress, clear my head and help me to focus.

Regular Contributor

I do semi-regularly, but I'm responding to this because if I could afford one regularly, I would! My goodness--I feel like a new person after! Where I live we have these places called "Foot Spas" and they start with a back/neck/shoulder massage (while you are sitting on a stool) for about 20 minutes and then you lie on a nice, comfy recliner and they do an awesome foot/leg massage for the rest of the hour and top it off with a short back massage...for $28. That is a bargain for what you get, but still, I really can't swing it right now--but I did every week when my DH was working, since he retired, funds are tight and I really can't do it as much as I'd like!

Respected Contributor

You ladies talked me into one....thanks so much for your responses.

I will schedule one tomorrow.

Trusted Contributor

I get one once a month; sometimes more. I also have scoliosis and associated back pain. My massage therapist finds places I didn't even know hurt. I had the same therapist for the last 12 years and she suddenly left town last spring. So I really was lucky to find a good new one, except it's not quite the same. She doesn't use essential oils, which really help.

Nantucket shore, enjoy!!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Esteemed Contributor

My parents' dog gets several massages a day. She seems very relaxed most of the time.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Regular Contributor

I have a regularly scheduled appointment every two weeks with the most wonderful woman She is a licensed massage therapist and it is the best thing I do for myself. She also is a lovely friend to discuss things when I need to hear a wise-woman's counsel. Go For It!!

Deep breathing exercises and meditation definitely helps with stress. Swimming is moving meditation for me.

(I'd like to be that lucky dog mentioned above!! Woof!)

Trusted Contributor

On 3/12/2014 sidsmom said:

I like a good sweat/cycling class to be 100% relaxed. If I have pains, I'll go to my chiropractor or Rolfer. If someone is touching me w/ oils, he better have bought me dinner beforehand!! Smiley Happy

I LOVE your last sentence! I thought I was the only one who feels this way Smiley Very Happy
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt