Respected Contributor

White stuff in my pores from my white moisturizer? (Gross language LOL)

[ Edited ]

Could this be?  I have fought white stuff in my pores for years.  These are not zits or irritations.  After I wash my face, I can see the white in my pores using a powerful mag. mirror. White dots everywhere, especially in the large pores.   If I do get a zit, white stuff comes out and it is not pus (sorry to be graphic).  I can squeeze (no lectures please) a bit of white stuff out for days.  It never all comes out at once like popping a zit.  It is like thick moisurizer coming out of a small pore.  I have tried different cleansers with the same results.

I'm thinking a gel moisturizer would be better.  I do use a toner and can't see the white in my pores any longer, but I'm sure it is there all day before I wash my face.

Anyone know of a good gel (clear) moisturizer that is good for acne prone, oily skin.  BTW, I'm 60 years old if that matters.

The moisturizer I've used for years is by Murad, so it's suppose to be good stuff.

P.S.  The white stuff is not the waxy stuff either, it is an opaque pure white substance.

Respected Contributor

Re: White stuff in my pores from my white moisturizer?

It seems to me your cleanser is not cleaning well deep into the pores.  I would experiment with different cleansers. 

I use a Clarisonic and it works well.  Have you tried one?  

Good luck to you finding a remedy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could be wrong but it sounds like you have enlarged pores. Maybe start using something to treat pores rather than disguising the problem. I know you mentioned "acne prone" skin so that makes sense that you may have large pores...they go hand in hand usually. Something with salicylic acid will help clear pores and reduce their size so they become less noticeable.

You may have "pore sludge". google it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

It seems to me your cleanser is not cleaning well deep into the pores.  I would experiment with different cleansers. 

I use a Clarisonic and it works well.  Have you tried one?  

Good luck to you finding a remedy.  

@Sunshine KateYes, I have a Clarisonic.  I used the sensitive brush and it still makes me break out.  It is in the closet.

I actually have tried a bunch of different cleansers.  Murad, Proactiv + and Purpose to name a few.

Thanks for your ideas though.

Valued Contributor

Maybe try a dermatologist?

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I could be wrong but it sounds like you have enlarged pores. Maybe start using something to treat pores rather than disguising the problem. I know you mentioned "acne prone" skin so that makes sense that you may have large pores...they go hand in hand usually. Something with salicylic acid will help clear pores and reduce their size so they become less noticeable.

You may have "pore sludge". google it.

@SilleeMee  YES, I do have enlarged pores.I also use salicylic acid everyday (Murad).  I do have pore sludge!  Interesting.  I've never heard of it.    Thanks for mentioning it.

I'll keep googling!

Respected Contributor

Google: Milia
Esteemed Contributor

Re: White stuff in my pores from my white moisturizer? (Gross language LOL)

If the white doesn't show, why not just leave it alone? Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

The blemishes you do have....are they enlarged?

"...white stuff out for days"....could they be cysts?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What you need is a product to keep your pores clean. I have oily skin. I've been using Sunday Riley's Good Genes Treatment since March 2015 and I no longer have issues with clogged pores. It's pricey but it works.

I only use a small amount at night every other day and a bottle for me lasts about 5 months or so.

I use Purity and Microdelivery together as my cleanser and it gets my oily skin clean w/o overdrying it. I also couldn't use Clarisonic; I use the Foreo Luna and I've had it since about 2013. Very gentle deep cleaning sonic action. No brushes to replace or that can harbour bacteria. 

I also use Paula's Choice 2% BHA but honestly no other product but Good Genes has ever made my skin and my pores stay clean and acne free for this long.  

~Live with Intention~