Honored Contributor

Does gray hair eventually turn to white hair?  I only recall gray in my parents, but my mother in law had beautiful white hair. I think you have only one or the other, but I don't know. Do you know?

Respected Contributor

My mother's hair was gray but eventually turned a very pretty silvery color.  She stopped getting perms and her hair had some natural body.  It looked so nice on her.  She is gone now, but when I look at a photo of her I always hope my hair will turn that silvery color.  I'm in my 60's with a little gray and in no hurry to find out yet.   Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Does gray hair eventually turn to white hair?  I only recall gray in my parents, but my mother in law had beautiful white hair. I think you have only one or the other, but I don't know. Do you know?

As some of my elderly family members became older, their hair color seemed to go from gray to white. 

I guess that I never really thought about it, though. Smiley Happy

My natural color is going from blond to silver, though. It's a more silvery color than gray. I'm half and half now-half silver in the front, and half blond still in the back. That is how the silver is coming in. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby had dark brown hair that went salt & pepper....then gray....now it is almost all white....

Honored Contributor

My ma turned gray at 85, and eventually white around 95.    (I'm not there yet.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

No one in my family has altogether white hair.  It's kind of mixed.  I love that pure white silvery color -- so beautiful.  If mine would do that, I would't mind!  But as my "roots" at times look, it's kind of a mottled mix of stuff -- not that attractice.  So, I will keep coloring!  I know a woman her hair is pure white and gorgeous!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Neither my mother nor HER mother went white. My mother had dark hair at the back of her head when she died at 95.

My 19 hairs are the color of dog urine on burnt newspapers, but my father was bald at 35, so I'm grateful for small favors.

Super Contributor

Did you know that there is actually no such thing as grey hair?  It's just an optical illusion. That hair is really white.......but looks grey when it is mixed in with the rest of your colored hair.

Fun little tidbit to spice up your next coctail party! 

Esteemed Contributor

I have silver hair totally.  Family trait.  All my aunts and my mother. (large family).  I had dyed my hair for years just to have fun with it.  Finally the dyes would not cover and I went to a salon who essentially fixed the problem and told me if I did not do it I would look old.  Yeah right.  Long story short, got vertigo could not go back in sink.  Let my hair go.  Best thing I ever did.  Love the compliments.  I don't treat my hair.  It is naturally curly and I don't even dry it ... just let it dry naturally in the air.  No chemicals, nothing except a bit of hairspray.  Love it.  Will not send a picture of myself.... but trust me I don't look anywhere near OLD.

Esteemed Contributor

Another comment.  I was told the orginal haircolor may determine the kind and amount of gray.  The original hair color may determine if it will turn white.  Of course I cannot prove this statement.