Valued Contributor

Re: White hair problem, please help!

@cherry wrote:

If you don't want to cut it, why not frost it?

It's silvery white right now. Not sure frosting would make a difference. I don't mind if I have to cut it. I have had hair of every length in my life and short works well in my schedule and I look better in it, to tell the truth! Thanks for replying!

Honored Contributor

@Marybella  I will tell you what happened to me.  I have very light silver hair, next to white actaully

I scotched my hair with a flat iron.  However,I didn't smell anything. So I went to my hairdresser and she frosted my hair

I liked it so much I keep it frosted.   The frosting adds a bit of a subtle glow to my hair

I stopped using hair driers ,or any kind of hot thing on my hair, and it's never looked better

Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Marybella  I will tell you what happened to me.  I have very light silver hair, next to white actaully

I scotched my hair with a flat iron.  However,I didn't smell anything. So I went to my hairdresser and she frosted my hair

I liked it so much I keep it frosted.   The frosting adds a bit of a subtle glow to my hair

I stopped using hair driers ,or any kind of hot thing on my hair, and it's never looked better

Thank you for sharing this. I really don't want to start having to frost or do anything like that with it. I let it go silver/white to avoid the time and expense of color. My hair grows very quickly, so if I have to cut it shorter to get rid of the yellow tone on top, I don't mind. I'll need to be more careful with the hair dryer and the metal round brush will be discontinued! It's about time for a style change as I do like to change things up now and then. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Marybella I'm sorry you scorched your hair! If you don't already use a nozzle attached to your blow dryer, you might consider that in the future to prevent it happening again. I know since I started using one, plus a heat protectant product, it's made a difference in the health of my hair.

Valued Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Marybella I'm sorry you scorched your hair! If you don't already use a nozzle attached to your blow dryer, you might consider that in the future to prevent it happening again. I know since I started using one, plus a heat protectant product, it's made a difference in the health of my hair.

Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. I have one, but it's in a bottom drawer along with various other heat styling gadgets that I never use. I'll dig it out tomorrow and give it a try!

Valued Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

@vermint wrote:

Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. I have one, but it's in a bottom drawer along with various other heat styling gadgets that I never use. I'll dig it out tomorrow and give it a try!

I found a nozzle and put it on the dryer. I also used the Everpure shampoo that was recommended. Couldn't find the treatment in town at any of the big box stores, so I ordered it from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow. I put some lemon juice on my hair for about 15 minutes and shampooed with the Everpure. I believe it has helped. Thank you, everyone for your advice. 

Occasional Contributor

Why don't you go to the hairdresser? He will surely help you.

Valued Contributor

@daddy144 wrote:

Why don't you go to the hairdresser? He will surely help you.

I have an appointment for Monday, but thought that I could get advice here to solve the issue before the appointment. The Beauty gurus here are so helpful. I do believe I can live with it as it is right now. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

I made a huge mistake by putting a hot blow dryer too close to the top of my hair on the side that is the longer one of an asymmetrical short cut. I singed it and it is kind of a pale yellow. Other than cutting it off, does anyone have any advice? I tried purple shampoo, but that doesn't affect it. 

@Marybella  When my stylist helped me transition to white hair during the year, she warned me against high heat on dryers, flat irons and surprisingly...direct sunlight. All can yellow hair. It happens more often if hair is not deep conditioned. 

Most of the yellow is removed by Shimmer Lights S&C at Sally’s after a few washings.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Marybella wrote:

I made a huge mistake by putting a hot blow dryer too close to the top of my hair on the side that is the longer one of an asymmetrical short cut. I singed it and it is kind of a pale yellow. Other than cutting it off, does anyone have any advice? I tried purple shampoo, but that doesn't affect it. 

@Marybella  When my stylist helped me transition to white hair during the year, she warned me against high heat on dryers, flat irons and surprisingly...direct sunlight. All can yellow hair. It happens more often if hair is not deep conditioned. 

Most of the yellow is removed by Shimmer Lights S&C at Sally’s after a few washings.

Thanks, I usually use a purple shampoo once or twice a week because we have well water with some iron in it.  I have never had a problem with my hair yellowing due to heat in the past. With this asymmetric cut, one side of course, has longer hair. This is the section that I singed accidently, but I think that it was yellowing prior to the accident, because I had to blow longer to straighten that section. So, now that I'm aware, I will change the way I do things! I appreciate your help!