Honored Contributor

Re: White Spots on Fingernails

I have long, strong nails my entire life, but I do also have plenty of the white spots too, never been worrisome to me. Just keep them polished all the time. 

Valued Contributor

I also use Dr's Remedy, toes only.  Their products have fewer harsh chemicals than regular brands.  Their polish is a little thin, but the colors are pretty.  I use their remover, too.  I think they recommend a rest week between polishes, sometimes I do, sometimes not.  I also buff my nails and only use an orange stick on my cuticles.

if you google your problem, the wikipedia entry lists many causes.

Trusted Contributor

Well, my Mom and Dad would tell you to to quit lying!!!! Every white spot is a white lie.  Well, it worked when I was a young thing.----tedEbear 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have not tried that ,but white spots on nails mean a former injury.Didn't she tell you that?

She didn't mention that, and she didn't think it was any other medical problem. I do change colors a lot, and she said it might be from the constant use of acetone, which is very drying. This is put on twice a day to keep the skin around the cuticles moist. 

I had white spots when I did the gel polish that uses the light to cure it.  You had to soak your nails in acetone to remove the polish.  I was told my nails were dry.  I soaked them in olive oil and they improved almost immediately.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I never had much of a problem with these until lately. My nails are strong, I've never had artificial nails, and I do them myself. After noticing these for a while, I decided to take a break from the polishes I usually wear. It's not helping.

Today I saw my dermatologist for something else and asked her about them. She said to use DermaNail. 

Has anyone ever tried this? 

DermaNail is a nail conditioner that works on all kinds of things, like peeling and splitting, but it's a long term topical treatment that you need to use daily and that takes months to show results, depending on the nail problem. (If you have peeling tips, for example, it will take many months for the treated nail to grow out and show the results.) DermaNail is an innvestment.

If your white spots are new, you may want to pass on DermaNail. If you have struggled with them for a while, then it may be a really good option.

Here's one of my favorite DermaNail reviews by a nail blogger: http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/2011/06/nail-hardeners-nail-conditioning.html

Respected Contributor

I have these too. They are not from an injury and I have not used nail polish for at least a couple of years.  I will ask the doc about this next time I go.  Seems like they are common. 

Regular Contributor

My white spots disappear when I add a zinc supplement to my daily diet. It might not work for you, but it definitely works for me. I like the Garden of Life raw zinc brand.
Frequent Contributor

I cannot speak for your white spots of course but I get a few from time to time and have been told that it comes from bumping my nails on something. Doesn't have to be an injury to the nail bed just bumping the surface on a cabinet or something. Usually they show up a day or so after that and sometimes the bump isn't even memorable. They grow out as my nail grows. It seems like you have quite a few more than me so of course it could be something else for you. Some ladies suggested it could be dryness and if so I would recommend Josie Maran's polish remover. It takes more rubbing than acetone but they do work for me as long as I don't have a glittery nail polish on, and it feels like a moisture treatment verses the stripping of acetone. I'm sure there are other gentle brands as well but that is the one I have tried. Hope you figure out what works for you!! 😊
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@meallen616 wrote:

The white spots on nail you notice are not caused by a calcium deficiency. These white spots in fingernailsare called "leukonychia" and are very common. Most of the time the white spots simply are a sign of some past injury to the matrix (base) of your nails.

Source  "Whatever the cause, white spots on fingernails are temporary and will grow out as your nails grow. However, it can take more than eight months for nails to grow out completely so the spots may be around for a while."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

UPDATE: You're not going to believe this! After getting advice here, and looking up the product my doctor recommended, I decided to try something myself. Usually on the Fourth of July weekend, I would have bright red nails, but I didn't want to chance using the polish right away. So here's what I did. Remember, my nails are strong and pretty long - they're actually starting to get in the way of things and it's time to trim them!

I had been wearing just one coat of Perfect Nails clear gel coat. I got this about a year ago and really wasn't that crazy about it. It was OK. So I took that off with a NON-acetone remover, washed my hands, and waited a few hours. Later on I put one coat of the same thing on. I started rubbing Josie Maran's argan oil around and over my nails. I took my time and massaged it in. Then I washed it off. I did the same thing in the morning, washing it off after the massage. 

We were in the car today on a short trip and I looked at my nails. The left hand is completely clear of white spots, and on my right hand there is only one little one on my index finger! My nails look pretty good for wearing only a clear polish!

I don't know if this is only temporary - I'll find out. And I will go back to wearing my polish in a few weeks. But for right now, I'm really surprised (and I'm not planning to order the DermaNail just yet)! Smiley Happy