Honored Contributor

I never had much of a problem with these until lately. My nails are strong, I've never had artificial nails, and I do them myself. After noticing these for a while, I decided to take a break from the polishes I usually wear. It's not helping.

Today I saw my dermatologist for something else and asked her about them. She said to use DermaNail. 

Has anyone ever tried this? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: White Spots on Fingernails

[ Edited ]

I have not tried that ,but white spots on nails mean a former injury.Didn't she tell you that?

Respected Contributor

White spots on nails can also be from a vitamin deficiency.

Honored Contributor

@Marlyn1 wrote:

White spots on nails can also be from a vitamin deficiency.

That is a myth.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have not tried that ,but white spots on nails mean a former injury.Didn't she tell you that?

She didn't mention that, and she didn't think it was any other medical problem. I do change colors a lot, and she said it might be from the constant use of acetone, which is very drying. This is put on twice a day to keep the skin around the cuticles moist. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom,

Dermanail's active ingredient is mandelic acid. It's a aha that helps smooth your nails and helps keep them from splitting. It really doesn't do much for the spots. It takes around 6 months of use to see progress.

Honored Contributor

The white spots on nail you notice are not caused by a calcium deficiency. These white spots in fingernailsare called "leukonychia" and are very common. Most of the time the white spots simply are a sign of some past injury to the matrix (base) of your nails.

Honored Contributor

@meallen616 and @SilleeMee - Thanks for the information! My nails are not splitting or breaking. I just have these weird white spots on them - sometimes they're at the middle, sometimes at the end, and sometimes over 3/4 of the nail. Right now my thumbs and forefingers don't have any; the rest do. Do you have any other advice that might help?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom,

If it were my nails, I would stop using anything with harsh chemicals like acetone or formaldehyde in it. I would not be putting anything on my nails that would dry them out. To me it sounds like you might have a case of dry nails. I would look for a nail and cuticle oil. 

sally-hansen-2120-vitamin-e-nail-cuticle-oil-0-45.jpg

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom I get random white spots on my toenails only during the summer when I keep polish on them. Never asked a dr. about them, but read somewhere that they might be some type of fungus. They grow out after I quit polishing my nails in the fall.

I bought a clear polish called Dr.'s Remedy last year--I think it was from the FootSmart Catalong, and I use that as my base coat. It contains tea tree oil, other things.It really does help, though I still had a couple spots. It's a little spendy---$19.00.

This year, when I remove my polish every two weeks, I'm washing my feet, then applying Wen Tea Tree Oil (I think any tea tree oil would do, I just have this one) to my nails. I rub it in well, then leave it on till I shower the next day. So far, so good...no spots!