Honored Contributor

Re: Whipped Argan Oil?? Total lie about ingredients.

On 11/24/2014 YorkieLove said: I think you guys are misinterpreting this. When she says it made with 100% argon oil, she doesn't mean that's the ONLY ingredient. She means the concentration of the argon Oil is 100%. This is similar to topical medications, which typically states the percentage of the concentration of the medication in the med. What Josie means, is the oil is not watered down before the product is made. You are taking her too literally.

I totally agree w/ Yorkie...I knew exactly what Josie meant every time I have watched this presentation. (I have never tried it...btw)

I think you may feel you were mislead, however, I was not. I don't see any intentional false advertising. QVC's legal dept. would make sure of that. There are just different interpretations of what was said.

She never said this body butter is only 100% Argon oil. She said it is made WITH 100% argon oil. The 100% goes with the ingredient....not the total product. It contains 100% argon oil...not 50%, not 73%...the argon oil used in the product is 100% pure.

Honored Contributor

On 11/23/2014 i like celery said:
On 11/23/2014 fromallover said: I do agree that the language she uses in the presentations should be changed. While she means that 100% Argan Oil is one of the ingredients, the way she says it is quite tricky and does sound like she's saying the product is 100% Argan Oil. However, just from the appearance of the product on TV it is completely obvious that it is not 100% pure Argan Oil, or even close. It looks like a body butter, and everyone (I hope) knows that any lotion, body butter, cream etc. is NOT made of 100% oil. Once again, it comes back to the fact that the Q and its vendors are out to sell a product. I would argue that most sales pitches are not completely above board. Is it right? No, but it's the world we live in. It's always important to use common sense when you're confronted with any sales pitch.

I agree (and no offense to the OP) that Josie means the Argan Oil is 100%.

I agree, as well. Yes, I hate that she says it contains pure argan oil without being more specific because that's easy to misinterpret. If it were 100% oil, it would look and feel like Crisco or solid coconut oil, not a creamy butter. Before I bought mine, I looked at the ingredients online and I'm okay with all of them, even the comfrey, which is way down on the ingredient list and not a comfrey poultice or a 20% comfrey cream.

I really like the Josie Maran Body Butter. You don't need a lot and it does what it says it will. If it feels greasy, use less. I use a lot of drugstore lotions and creams, but I find that the JM Body Butter does keep my skin feeling more hydrated longer than most drugstore lotions and I need about half as much of it.

Esteemed Contributor

I too understood her presentation to mean that it was just pure whipped Argon Oil. I "assumed" that they put the oil into blender or something, although that sounds rather silly. She needs to watch what she says in her presentations. I like her Argon Oil and use it everyday. Hers is the first oil I have tried. If I can find something similar for less $, I will try it. I don't know what the differences are supposed to be, between different brands of oils, if some are really better than others.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

A couple of points here. First, I'm not saying I'm unhappy with her products. I have several things of the whipped argan oil and I like it. I've encouraged others to use it.

But she DOES say "it is 100% argan oil." I've heard her say every time I've watched the presentations. Perhaps you have heard different presentations where she says "it is made with 100% argan oil." Both statements may be made but I heard the first one on more than one occasion.

To anyone who thinks viewers are stupid for possibly thinking it is 100% argan oil because otherwise it couldn't have this texture, please look at 100% coconut oil and 100% olive oil. Two totally different textures at room temperature. One is a solid and one is a liquid. Why couldn't 100% whipped argan oil be in between the two? I guess you have a right to call others "stupid" but it's not nice.

To the poster who says we should tell corporate instead of posting here, I ask "Why have a forum at all? Send all comments to corporate. How about you start with all of your comments?" If you don't like that idea then please stop telling other people what they can and can't post. These comments about the product weren't nasty and we are all allowed to post opinions as long as we follow the forum rules, including you.

{#emotions_dlg.huh}

KJPA
Valued Contributor

Comfrey or Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Leaf Extract that is used in her products are actually used for healing of the skin. The amount used in her actual butter is so miniscule that it honestly would not have a huge affect on you, especially not enough to seep into your skin and damage your organs.

Comfrey contains substances that help skin regrow, including allantoin, rosmarinic acid, and tannins. It also has poisonous chemicals called pyrrolizidine alkaloids. When looking at products, make sure that the comfrey is coming from the leaf and not the roots (roots have 16X more of the alkaloids).

The warnings on comfrey products are based off of ingesting it (i.e.: oral products or medicines that contain the substance) and have been banned in many countries including the U.S. However, topical products containing 5%-20% comfrey are still widely used but do limit to stop usage after 2 weeks.

Just a note, like stated above. The amount of comfrey used in her butter is not even close to 5%. The main issue with comfrey is ingesting it. There are plenty of products out there that everyone uses daily that you would not ingest. For instance, the Jergen's has various alcohols, dimethicone, parabens, etc that you wouldn't put on a piece of butter and eat with dinner.Wink These ingredients should also be avoided on open wounds as well.

If you chose not to use her products based off of one ingredient then fine - but practice what you preach and look at other products you use as well!

Source: University of Maryland.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I caught one of Josie's presentations and I got the impression that this whipped version contains 100% argan oil. Which means, to me, all of it is argan oil. She could just as easily say contains 100% water and make everyone think it's nothing but water. Or 100% comfrey etc.

If she says it contains 100% argan oil and doesn't indicate that it also contains any other ingredient, it leaves the impression that argan oil is all that's in there.

It's not beyond the realm of comprehension to think that a micronizing process of some kind could whip up an oil to a frothy consistency. She's giving the impression that she's managed that. Which would be impressive. She made a somewhat similar claim about her Milk product, but also says there's water in it.

I don't care whether anyone buys the item. I do care that she's shading the truth. This butter stuff is clearly a popular product, so she's harming her credibility for no good reason.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I've heard many of her presentations and she definitely states it's only argan oil. I really didn't give it another thought until I got one the kits with the whipped cream in it. When I looked at the ingredient list, I was shocked at how many other things were also in it. In fact, argan oil wasn't even the first or second ingredient.

I don't have a problem with the product. Nor do I have a problem with Josie. However, I do think what she says on-air is definitely misleading. And I've never heard one single host correct her regarding the ingredients. Another thing that amazes me is the QVC's attorneys let her continue. Once or twice I could understand, but every time this product is presented she says the same thing. All the vendors and hosts always talk about how strict their legal department is. Apparently, no one in legal has ever watched these presentations.

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Porcelain said:

I caught one of Josie's presentations and I got the impression that this whipped version contains 100% argan oil. Which means, to me, all of it is argan oil. She could just as easily say contains 100% water and make everyone think it's nothing but water. Or 100% comfrey etc.

If she says it contains 100% argan oil and doesn't indicate that it also contains any other ingredient, it leaves the impression that argan oil is all that's in there.

It's not beyond the realm of comprehension to think that a micronizing process of some kind could whip up an oil to a frothy consistency. She's giving the impression that she's managed that. Which would be impressive. She made a somewhat similar claim about her Milk product, but also says there's water in it.

I don't care whether anyone buys the item. I do care that she's shading the truth. This butter stuff is clearly a popular product, so she's harming her credibility for no good reason.

Totally agree
Respected Contributor

On 11/23/2014 danedylan said:

Girls--I was in TJMax (or was it Marshalls!)--anyway I bought--100% pure cold pressed organic argan oil--$14.99--I have Josie Marans that was probably 2x the $$..

Thanks for posting this. I am going to have to look for this the next time I am in one of these stores. I plan on shopping on Friday so I would imagine that I will have a chance to shop at one of these stores.

Super Contributor

Anyone feeling they were ""Misled"" can always contact her website directly and complain.