Honored Contributor

Which retinol product do you suggest?

I have been giving a lot of thought to trying retinol, but see so many choices on QVC (Paula's Choice, Algenist, StriVectin, Peter Thomas Roth, Kate Somerville, Dennis Gross, and Dr. Dense). Are there different potencies to consider? What should I be looking for in a retinol serum? What has worked best for you? I have to admit that the pictures shown by PTR this evening were quite impressive for his retinol after one week, two weeks, and four weeks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Which retinol product do you suggest?

Here is a Retinol 101 from Beautypedia:

RETINOL 101

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor

If you are open to products outside of QVC, Green Cream is an old standby. It comes in three levels, packaging is air and light proof, and the base in which the retinol is in is formulated to penetrate deeper into the skin. 

You can find it at dermstore, skincarerx and I think probably amazon as well. 

No matter which brand you decide upon, start slowly. I'm sure you've read many posts about that. Use it every third night for a few weeks, then every other night for a few weeks and then try every night and see if your skin is agreeable. 

Not everyone's skin likes retinol. It will go through an adjustment but if you are red and flaky after a month or two and you started slowly, you might want to reconsider. 

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Esteemed Contributor

I recommend Peter Thomas Roth's retinol serum. It is effective and gentle, albeit pricey. QVC has the best deals on this product if you buy the larger size. There are many reviews of this product in Qvc, so I encourage you to check them, too. 

Respected Contributor

I have been using Skin Medica from The Derm Store for about 2 years. I got the recommendation from the clinic where I get my dermabrasion done. I have been very pleased with the results. I could buy it through the clinic, but I get far better deals via Derm Store. Good stuff!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I've been using Paula's Choice products for about 20 years.  I love her 1 oz serums (one contains Vit. C and another Retinol).  I also use her AHA and BHA products and the Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol.  Fragrance and color free; no animal testing and a guarantee for 60 days with no questions asked.  Their customer service is fantastic.  If you call the phone number on her website you may ask for free samples.  Sign up for email and you will get updates on 2 for 1's, free shipping, special pricing, etc.  I always wait until a sale.  Check out her Beautypedia website to see reviews/recommendations of online/dept/drugstore makeup and skin care.  Paula has articles on her website that you can read about.

Honored Contributor

Is there really any otc retinol product with enough active ingredient to make a difference? I've been  under the impression that without a 'script you just aren't getting anything effective...

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Is there really any otc retinol product with enough active ingredient to make a difference? I've been  under the impression that without a 'script you just aren't getting anything effective...

That's what I've read as well.  I feel that the hosts are sometimes being dishonest when discussion retinol products they offer and then say something like "until now, this has been available only by prescription".  That's not true.  Retin-A is the prescription product, Retinol is not.  While in the same family of Retinoids, Retinol and Retin-A are very different from one another.  Retinol is much weaker and has to go through several chemical conversion steps to become Retinoic Acid and be able to penetrate the skin, steps that Retin-A does not have to go through.  If the Retinol ingredient in a topical product is already toward the bottom of the list, it's going to pretty much be non-effective on the skin.  That said, if someone can't use a Retin-A product, a Retinyl Retinoate is likely a good option because it's more gentle and more stable than Retinol.  Mad Hippie has a Vitamin A Serum that's getting some good reviews.  

Retinol vs. Retin-A #1

Retinol vs Retin-A #2

Retinol, Retinyl Pamlitate, and Retinyl Retinoate

Future Derm Product Review of Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum

Super Contributor

I've used Retin A for about 30 years. At one point I decided to try Green Cream 9 because I moved and it was difficult to get a prescription for Retin A. Green Cream is actually harsher and it costs a little more. Retin A seems to be expensive, but a $90 tube lasts 3 months - so for $30/month, I'm actually saving money with Retin A. Another alternative is to order Retin A from a pharmacy in Mexico without a prescription or have friends visiting Mexico bring you a couple of big tubes.

Honored Contributor

@SchippyLuv wrote:

I've used Retin A for about 30 years. At one point I decided to try Green Cream 9 because I moved and it was difficult to get a prescription for Retin A. Green Cream is actually harsher and it costs a little more. Retin A seems to be expensive, but a $90 tube lasts 3 months - so for $30/month, I'm actually saving money with Retin A. Another alternative is to order Retin A from a pharmacy in Mexico without a prescription or have friends visiting Mexico bring you a couple of big tubes.

There's a few things I'd like to go shopping for in a Mexican pharmacy Smiley Very Happy