Occasional Contributor

Which procedure is more effective: dermabrasion, or chemical peel? are they comparable?

[ Edited ]

I am 49 years olf, with moderate sun damage on my face and some on my neck.My forearems and hands are atrocious, and probably beyond help at this point. I do wear sunscreen on them..

For skincare, I currently use a Lancome Creamy Foam Cleanser and Lancome Confort Tonique, If I wear makeup, I use Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water as my first step.

Nighttime, I follow this with Paula's Choice 2% BHA, then 0.025% Retin-A Gel. Then Boots serum, and night cream.I do alternate with Josie Maran Milk, Face Butter, and oil. both day and night

Daytime, I wash, use PC BHA, and Boots daycream with spf 30.sometimes JM products, including her sunscreen

I'm hoping someone could recommend where to go from here. I don't smoke, drink, get moderate excercise, try to eat well, drink water often. 

My skin is lackluster! It's dull, dry, a lttle rough, but not flaky, just doesn't have a glow anymore, and it's making me sad. I should add, I am post-menopausal as of January - could that be the reason?

What should I do, ladies? I feel like a sandblasting or peel might help, do I just need to find a dermatologist and consult with one? What have your experiences been in regards to dulling skin and how did you remedy it?

Thank you so much for your consideration.♥ I will check in later in case you have questions, ask away. Oh, I am fair/light, if that matters.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Which procedure is more effective: dermabrasion, or chemical peel? are they comparable?

[ Edited ]

@TryingToQuit  Why are you using the gel formula of Retin A?  Is it because you've been prone to acne or breakouts?

Eta- The gel is very drying and it's usually prescribed for teens and others with oily skin and those type of issues.  Could this be the cause of your skin problems because the rest of your skincare sounds great.

I'm over 65 and I've been using  Retin'A cream for about 7 years ( 0.05% cream now) and my skin is really smooth, soft and plumper than it was 10 years ago.  Mature skin is normally drier and needs the cream formulation.

Could this be causing of your dull, dry and rough skin?  If not, I'd consult with a good dermatologist.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which procedure is more effective: dermabrasion, or chemical peel? are they comparable?

@TryingToQuit wrote:

I am 49 years olf, with moderate sun damage on my face and some on my neck.My forearems and hands are atrocious, and probably beyond help at this point. I do wear sunscreen on them..

For skincare, I currently use a Lancome Creamy Foam Cleanser and Lancome Confort Tonique, If I wear makeup, I use Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water as my first step.

Nighttime, I follow this with Paula's Choice 2% BHA, then 0.025% Retin-A Gel. Then Boots serum, and night cream.I do alternate with Josie Maran Milk, Face Butter, and oil. both day and night

Daytime, I wash, use PC BHA, and Boots daycream with spf 30.sometimes JM products, including her sunscreen

I'm hoping someone could recommend where to go from here. I don't smoke, drink, get moderate excercise, try to eat well, drink water often. 

My skin is lackluster! It's dull, dry, a lttle rough, but not flaky, just doesn't have a glow anymore, and it's making me sad. I should add, I am post-menopausal as of January - could that be the reason?

What should I do, ladies? I feel like a sandblasting or peel might help, do I just need to find a dermatologist and consult with one? What have your experiences been in regards to dulling skin and how did you remedy it?

Thank you so much for your consideration.♥ I will check in later in case you have questions, ask away. Oh, I am fair/light, if that matters.

@TryingToQuit   I agree w/ @Harvard99 that you should be on a prescription strength Retin A Cream. The Paula’s Choice product may not be enough exfoliation for you. You may want to try a gentle “scrub” or some chemical Peel Pads to bring back some glow. Start slowly so you don’t get irritation. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The OP said Retin-A .025% gel is being used. But what I also see is that there are other things being used along with that at night and one of them is BHA. It has always been my understanding that Retin-A should be used alone or with a moisturizer with no other actives. Retin-A is inherently an exfoliating product and should not be combined with other exfoliants. If you are using the BHA twice daily then I would reduce using it to once daily, or less. BHA can be extremely drying. The Retin-A gel is usually for people with  oily skin. The cream is for normal to dry skin types.

Exfoliation by dermabrasion vs exfoliation by chemical methods may give similar results but usually the one used depends on your skin condition. It's best to ask your derm or aesthetician which one would be best for you.

Respected Contributor

If you can afford the down time, get the chemical peel. It is deeper and much more effective than microdermabrasion.

If you can afford to have a series of microchanneling, I'd take that over the peel or the microdermabrasion.

Honored Contributor

I would talk to a professional (plastic surgeon) about what would be the best choice for your skin. 

I vowed I would do a deep chemical peel to remove all the sun damage over the years. Come to find, I'm not a candidate for a peel and any type of scrub/abrasive makes my skin hurt and burn now. So, topicals are my only choice. Who knew?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My derm does a procedure called HydraFacial. It is a patented series of treatments done by a derm using the HydraFacial instruments and products. This involves 3 steps, one step is microdermabrasion, and takes about 30 minutes to complete. Cost can vary anywhere from 150 to 300, depending on where you live. My derm offers monthly special rates for this treatment. I have never had it done, though I am tempted.

People get these HydraFacials when they have a special event to go to or when their skin needs special attention. Very popular professional treatment.

Honored Contributor

@TryingToQuit wrote:

That's a common and natural reaction. Wanting to blast off the skin you don't like and just start over. But I don't think dermabrasion or a chemical peel will give you a glow or help rough dry skin.

I don't see a hyaluronic acid or a Vitamin C serum in your routine. Those could really help with your goals.

I'd also recommend switching to CeraVe cleanser, and possibly using the CeraVe PM lotion morning and night instead of your usual moisturizer.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The OP said Retin-A .025% gel is being used. But what I also see is that there are other things being used along with that at night and one of them is BHA. It has always been my understanding that Retin-A should be used alone or with a moisturizer with no other actives. Retin-A is inherently an exfoliating product and should not be combined with other exfoliants. If you are using the BHA twice daily then I would reduce using it to once daily, or less. BHA can be extremely drying. The Retin-A gel is usually for people with dry skin. The cream is for normal to dry skin types.

Exfoliation by dermabrasion vs exfoliation by chemical methods may give similar results but usually the one used depends on your skin condition. It's best to ask your derm or aesthetician which one would be best for you.

@SilleeMee  Could I be misinformed, I need to know.  Is the gel for dry skin or the cream?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 ,

Yes, the gel is for oily skin. My mistake . I will correct that part in my post. Thank you for pointing it out to me.