Respected Contributor

Re: Which personality driven skincare lines do you buy?

I guess the only one that really comes to mind, for me, was Bobbi Brown. I liked her over-all philosophy about make-up and how to use it. I used her products for a long time. Now I have moved on from it.

After that, I guess I have been influenced by what NOT to buy based on a personality. No matter how much I try, there are some I can't give my money to!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Just about every skin care personality I can think of turns me OFF, to be honest. I would never buy based on "the face" representing the line - any of them.  Adrienne Arpel and Dmitri come to mind. Seriously? Jennifer Stallone? Hubby bought her a toy company to play with. I don't seriously believe, no matter what they claim, that any face of a brand "created" anything but good PR perhaps. That's just me.

I choose what I use based primarily on the detailed reviews of others, the availability, the packaging somewhat, the cost (no $75-100+ potions for me - ingredients-wise, just not necessary), and of course the results. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Fess up. The reason I buy certain lines is because the representative is entertaining This mainly means an owner.  The ones I watch and still use (or watched in the past) are Dimitri from Skinn, Leslie Blodgett from BE, and Christina Carlino from Philosophy.  That doesn't necessarily mean I stick with the line, but those people induce me to try it in the first place.  Two people I've liked watching are Laura Geller and Jamie Kern, but sadly their colors just don't work for me. 

@depglass

You learn something new every day!   Honestly, I didn't know people did that, but to each their own.

I don't think a person being "entertaining" is reason enough to purchase any given product.  

I do enjoy the occasional presentation to see if there's anything new in the world of ingredients or what they no longer put in products, but, in the end, the top consideration for me are Customer Reviews because they aren't trying to sell me anything.

Bottom line ....  just because someone makes statements with great conviction doesn't mean they're true.  JMO

Respected Contributor

None.  However, if I watch something long enough, doesnt matter what it is, I will eventually give it a try.

Valued Contributor

Okay here goes...most of the products I try are recommended on this board; however, I finally learned to ignore the drama about the hosts/vendors. I missed some good products because the (Valued/Esteemed) did not like the vendors such as the Dubrows JM, etc.
I have found some great products because of the recommendations and despite of them. JMO
Valued Contributor

I've been put off when watching certain vendors that I don't buy. I haven't bought because anyone was cute myself. I did see a Bareminerals review that someone bought four of the same bronzing serum because Leslie was back once after being gone so long. She didn't like it and returned all four. I find that crazy. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think vendors do have to be entertaining, but they must also be informative as well. I may buy a product once but I won't buy it a second time if I don't like it or it doesn't work.

Also because I'm in Canada and none of the U.S. shopping channels ship to Canada, when a vendor leaves The Shopping Channel in Canada and doesn't come back, it's seldom that I will go out of my way to buy it from the U.S. and have it shipped to a relative. I haven't done that once since QVC stopped shipping to Canada..instead I've found alternatives. There's not one brand or product that cannot be replaced, IMO.

Serious Skin Care's 5 piece original acne kit worked for me when I was in my 40s and dealing with acne, but that was before other companies like Proactiv and Paula's Choice made their own products that worked the same. I've also piecemealed my skin care out of necessity.

After menopause my skin has changed enough so I only get the occasional chin breakout while the rest of my face doesn't exfoliate well on its own because it's drier so now I need to do dermabrasion more often but not so much that my face gets red and irritated. My facial sunscreen is from the U.S. -- Cerave --, my CC cream is from IT Cosmetics, the rest of my makeup is from drugstore brands available in the U.S. and Canada. I buy all sorts of brands as I'm not brand loyal at all.

Honored Contributor

@TY - since you're from Canada, what do you think of Vasanti?

I stumbled across mention of it on the "box" sites, that people who got samples were loving it. Costco was previously selling it in-store, now just online - a combo of their cleanser & skin-brightening exfoliator/polisher, both + travel size for the same price as one item on their website. I have ordered it and should get it in a couple of days.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I usually don't care, but I'll have to admit if I "like" the rep, I'm drawn more to using the skincare or makeup.

But in the past I boycotted a famous brand because I heard the rep in an interview demeaning others. I never bought anything from the line until the company was sold and a new rep was brought in! Just my "thing"! Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@TY - since you're from Canada, what do you think of Vasanti?

I stumbled across mention of it on the "box" sites, that people who got samples were loving it. Costco was previously selling it in-store, now just online - a combo of their cleanser & skin-brightening exfoliator/polisher, both + travel size for the same price as one item on their website. I have ordered it and should get it in a couple of days.

@Moonchilde

I don't know about Vasanti as I've never used it. I recall that they were a vendor on The Shopping Channel but it wasn't for very long. I will take a look at Costco to see what beauty products they carry but I haven't been there in a while. I also notice that Costco stores don't necessarily carry the same things in the U.S. and Canadian stores.