Super Contributor

Re: Which lip balms are drying?

[ Edited ]

The best lip balm I have ever found is called Paulas Choice lip and body treatment balm. I've tried so many over the years and my lips continued to get dry or cracked would peel and even bleed. Someone on these forums told me about this and I've never looked back. My lips are so hydrated now, it's $15 a tub which is pricey but it's worth every penny and I usually buy several when I order because I never want to be without it. I keep one next to my bed, in my makeup bag, in my purse and in my vehicle. It's also great to use on any part of the body that is dry.

Trusted Contributor

Any lip balm with menthol has always been drying for me.  Also, the regular Chapstick, I have found to be drying.  I am a lip balm fanatic, I have a constant case of dry lips due to some meducation I must take.   My favorite one is Palmer's Cocoa Butter.  It comes in a chunky tube.

I've purchased it at Target and Wal-Mart.  For some reason, it is alway stocked near the bottom of the lip balm displays.  The tube is white with orange and brown writing on it.  I have used so many different kinds of lip balm, I can't count.  This one took me by surprise, it is so moisturizing and NOT greasy.

Respected Contributor

I have worse lip peeling ever!! I've tried many, many, and many recommendations from here. My lips just peel, about every 2 days. Sooo, that said, the only one that lasts all night, and helps to keep my lips soft, and moist, is Burt Bees lip balm in the twist up tube (like chap stick). Now..that said, the ONLY ONE I can use is the Honey. None of the the other formulations...just the plain honey. I also recommend lip balms that contain beeswax. Maybe someone here has tried Beekmans lip balm...I know it has beeswax, and gets good reviews.
Respected Contributor

I love CO Bigelow Rose Salve and then Bite Beautys Lip Mask for overnight. 

Valued Contributor

My Paula's Choice Lip and Body balm has castor oil, beeswax and lanolin and it's the best balm I've ever used. Maybe it's the combination of other ingredients in other products that cause dryness?

Honored Contributor

Drying?

Carmex!  Due to the menthol.

I had a BF who wore this (loved the vanilla smell).

Everytime he kissed me, my lips would start peeling.

I'm very sensitive to the menthol.

Beeswax...as drying?

My Lip Smackers, which I've been using since the dinosaur age

called 'junior high school' (!), has beeswax & has

always, always, always kept my lips smooth & soft.

And yes, bury me with my Lip Smacker stash. Please. 

🤣

Respected Contributor

LOL @sidsmom

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just curious - Do you exfoliate your lips regularly? That's a major factor in lip peeling and drynes! Sloughing off that top layer of skin is essential in promoting healthy, younger skin to come to the surface! It promotes healthy skin growth by doing this daily. Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I use a lip serum along with my face serums right after I wash my face. I think that makes a big difference. The lip area deserves skincare too.

The serum I use provides actives that help with moisture generation within the tissue. Then I use a balm over the top to seal in moisture. I reapply whenever it occurs to me.

Lips are trickier to keep treated and conditioned than other skin areas because we drink water and coffee all day, leaving lip color and balm on the cup. The trick is just to reapply each time you eat it all off.

Ingredients, for the most part, aren't drying. Stay away from anything you know irritates the rest of you skin.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Texasmouse

https://beautyeditor.ca/2015/12/22/lip-balm-causing-dry-lips

• Vitamin E. ...
  • Castor Oil. ...
  • Beeswax. ...
  • Lanolin. ...
  • Fragrances and Flavorings. ...
  • Sunscreen.

The article went on to warn about peppermint oil being one of the worst offenders, along with menthol, camphor, eucalyptus and limonene. These are known irritants.  If your lips tingle or burn, do not use the product!

Carmex has both menthol and camphor in it.