Honored Contributor

Re: Which is better in your opinion - Ulta or Sephora?

I shop from both but only online. As online stores, I like them equally.They're both great and I love their deals and the birthday gifts they give me. 

Shopping online makes it easier for me to compare the products without being overwhelmed. The only downside is I can't try on foundation shade samples this way. 

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

Sephora.

@deeva , I didn't realize Target has Sephora in it.

@Wsmom - Targets in my area have an ULTA inside and Kohl's has Sephora. 

Honored Contributor

I don't consider one better than the other, just different.  I was very excited to see a Sephora was coming here and then disappointed that it was a smaller store.  Not as small as the ones inside other stores, but smaller than the one I had visited in Atlanta once.  

Sephora does not have a salon and also doesn't have the amount of haircare brands in my store, probably because it's a smaller store and haircare products take up more space than makeup.  I have found the staff there very helpful and friendly, but sometimes they can be a little too helpful in that I like to browse without feeling like I'm being watched.  But, overall, I have had a good experience.  I like that I can still get real samples of foundations there, not those little inadequate cards because I want to see what it looks like in my lighting.  I hate store lighting.

Ulta has more products than my smaller Sephora store, and I can pretty much count on being able to browse to my heart's content unless I wander into the Prestige makeup section, although they do just ask if I need help once.  They're both in the same shopping complex but the Ulta is a little easier to get to, plus, if they don't have something there are two other stores that I can visit.  

Of course, Sephora doesn't carry, at least in my store, the lower-end brands and I do like some of those although, as someone mentioned, sometimes the shelves can be rather empty.  I was in just the other day and found a couple of liners I wanted to try and they were picked clean.  

I prefer B&M stores over online shopping if I can find what I want, and the stores would probably prefer me to B&M shop because I always buy more that way.  I don't really know how to "browse" online to find those products I just happen to pass by and go "Oh, that looks interesting" and then impulse buy. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer Sephora id shopping online, but Ulta if going into the store that's quite close.

In Ulta, I can purchase my higher end makeup and drugstore items, too. OPI polish, and many things Sephora doesn't stock.

Yes, sometimes both stores are guilty of being out of products and shades. Sales people (if you can flag one down) look in the drawers down below and there it is! I guess not enough help to stock shelves.

Esteemed Contributor

If both are full size, not just a corner of another store, there is no real comparison.  They are completely different.  Totally depends what you need.

Honored Contributor

If you like more high end brands Sephora is better although Ulta has been adding more higher end brands. Ulta carries drugstore brands so if you are on a budget Ulta is better. Both stores have a loyalty program and tiers for their customers. I often order online for Ulta as my Ulta is not great. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm fortunate in that there are several of each I can get to easily.  I prefer Sephora mostly because I find the Ulta stores to be kind of messy and the service is meh.  Mostly cashiers and people at the hair salon, but hard to get a question answered on the sales floor.  As for online, I use both depending on what I'm looking for.  

Honored Contributor

I like both stores, but it depends upon what I'm looking for.  I like Sephora for my higher-end brands, but if Ulta happens to carry the same line then I'll go there.  I do like the fact that Ulta carries both high and lower-end products, so I can get everything in one store.  My skincare line isn't sold in either store, so I still have to order it online.  We have more Ulta locations on Oahu than we do Sephora so I end up going to Ulta more often than Sephora.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find I spend more at Ulta because I prefer their rewards system to that of Sephora's. Those points add up and I can get what I want, not what I am told I can have, for spending my money!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

There’s an Ulta in my neighborhood. Sephora is on the other side of town. I don’t want to go there.