Honored Contributor

Which is better in your opinion - Ulta or Sephora?

We are in the process of getting a Sephora.  I never shopped there before.  We have an Ulta, which is pretty nice.  I'm wondering - for those of you who have shopped both - what are your opinions as to which you like better, and why?  Does Sephora carry as many brands, etc. as Ulta, or just certain of their own brands?  And do they offer hair styling, makeup consulting, etc., like Ulta does?  Thanks!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Which is better in your opinion - Ulta or Sephora?

I like Ulta much better. Sephora always carries a few more of the more expensive brands and, therefore, some people will say it's better. I disagree. Sephora stores are almost always dark with products and aisles very crowded.....doesn't make a good place for shopping for beauty products. In many of their stores, too, the salespeople tend to have a snotty attitude. None of that is true at Ulta. Ulta has far more products and a greater diversity of products and price points. Hands down Ulta is far superior. 

Honored Contributor

I don't care for Ulta, even in a new store the shelves are half empty

Sephora is OK, 

Honored Contributor

I rarely go into either store but the last time I was in Ulta - 2 years ago, I asked for a sample of a foundation.  They told me they no longer give samples.  I could return what I purchased if I ddin't like it.  

I am an hour from the stores...I am not going to buy and then return when it takes me an hour to get there.  One reason why I don't experiment with make up.

Respected Contributor

Ulta is more than just makeup, they have a beauty salon and a bigger hair care dept. Half the store is the prestige brands and the other half is everyday makeup and supplies.  ulta does have more coupons.

Respected Contributor

It probably has more to do with each individual store, for example who works there and what you are looking to buy. In my area l do better at Sephora. I find the salespeople in Sephora more knowledgeable. I still try to do my own research when looking for a product before I go into a store. 

Honored Contributor

Ulta

Trusted Contributor

I like and shop at both. 

I tend to go to Ulta more often.  What I like about it:

-it's in a strip mall

-selection has both "prestige and drugstore" products

-Reward point convert to store credit

Sephora is in our mall.  So it's not as easy to get to.  They don't have the range od products like Ulta.  BUT!!  Ulta doesn't carry some prestige brands.  I think it depends on your location.  I love Dior Lipshow lippies and Ulta doesn't carry.  So if I am near Sephora I will stop to see what they have in stock.  The LipShow is very popular and all the colors will be sold out, at dept stores, too.  

If it weren't for Dior, I probably would skip Sephora.  For all the hype, I think once you get one, you'll be let down.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I had to pick one, right now I'd say Sephora, even though I've only been in one once.  I'd need to do some research to be sure.

I don't care how good their deals are, I refuse to patronize Ulta anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both have good and bad qualities.

Ulta-- decent selection of both high end and drug store brands. They also sell appliances like hair dryers, curling irons etc.. They also sell salon shampoos and products which Sephora does not. Bad-- Lines can be long at both. The cashier will often try to get you to subscribe to magazines. Often crowded, 

Sephora--- lots of different higher end products, many samples to try on in the store, can be crowded too. Salespeople can be a bit annoying by constantly asking if you need something or they can be kinda aloof. Maybe it's my age (67). I'm just not in their demographics of being a huge makeup buyer, Stores are darker. 

If I know what I need or want I'll run into an Ulta, if  I'm browsing or looking for something but not sure what is out there I'll go to Sephora. Ulta stores are usually in an areas with lots of parking (at least in Arizona they are) or free standing stores where Sephora is usually in a mall where you have to park and walk into the mall.