Honored Contributor

Re: Which Waterproof Grey Hair Root Cover-Up Product is Best? (Great Hair Day, Color Wow, etc)

In the past I used JR's product but switched to WOW. JR's covers your scalp so I was loosing part of my part. WOW clings to my roots and not my scalp. Also the color is a bit better for my dark blond/light brown hair.

I always have WOW in my hair when I go to get it colored. My girl said hair dye penetrates almost any hair product. I've never had problems with my roots not being covered by Aveda dye.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Waterproof Grey Hair Root Cover-Up Product is Best? (Great Hair Day, Color Wow, etc)

Roux Tween Time color stick.

Honored Contributor

I have dark brunette hair and also struggle w/ the white skunk part.

JR Great Day only masked, dulled the grays. They are stubborn! It did NOT cover them. I love JR for toning down my bright white head in the thinner areas, but not for the skunk stripe.

I use Rita Hazan Root Concealer in Dark Brown/Black. Sprays on easily. Totally covers. Stays on till I wash my hair. Makes my hair feel less dirty than all the others I have tried.

Respected Contributor

I buy a small spray can of root color at WM. Don't know the name right now, but they only have one brand at ours. I actually apply it the night before I'm going to wash my hair so it sits on it all night. There is never any on my pillow. It lasts through two or three washings. It actually stains the hair. Works great.

I now only color my hair every 4 weeks instead of every three. It saves me money. I have pure white hair that I color brown and have blonde highlights. I use the light brown color.

The can looks like a mini spray can of paint. DH thought that's what it was when I was using it. He said "You are spray painting your hair?". LOL

Super Contributor

I use Joan Rivers great hair day all the time between coloring. Stays on until I wash my hair.
Esteemed Contributor

Joan Rivers Great Hair Day is the BEST!
Frequent Contributor

I really like Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder but when I can't get that I'll use Rita Hazan's spray, which I seem to get all over my hands and clothes when I use it.

Esteemed Contributor

Just curious, why would anyone want to use powders, sprays, etc, that wash out if you can use a permanent easy solution that will last until you get to your salon?

Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 colliegirls said:

Just curious, why would anyone want to use powders, sprays, etc, that wash out if you can use a permanent easy solution that will last until you get to your salon?

I get my roots done every 3 weeks. The week before coloring I see skunk and the powder is a perfect fix.

When I did my own color, I did a touch up every 2 weeks. The permanent in-between dyes are just a small amount of permanent dye. If I used a generic color in-between, I'd affect my colorist's work (she uses Aveda which looks translucent giving the look of highlights) and end up with lines of demarcation or an ombre effect.

Respected Contributor

I've tried them all and my fave is TRUHAIR by Chelsea Scott over on HSN. WAY easy to use and stays on till you wash it out. Refills available too. The best!