Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where will the new Q board be on the internet?

@monicakm You read YOUNG!

Trusted Contributor

Got it friends!!! I am registered. Thank you to whoever here is computer savvy and set this up. I am so grateful to them so that I don't lose all of you my friends.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I am wondering if anyone connected with the new site on ProBoards can clarify a question I have.  Not trying to create a problem, just a clarification.

Going to the ProBoards site, reading the “Terms of Service,” I did note:

“11.  By registering with the Website, you thereby consent to receive periodic email communications regarding the Services, new product offers, promotions, and other matters.”

I  am certainly not an attorney, but have enough experience to realize you should be wary of what you agree to.  Is this why this site wants your date of birth and email address?

Again, my purpose is not to create problems.  Rather, just trying to gather facts.  thank you.

I saw that also.  Even to get a different email you have to enter phone number and name which can be linked to you by anyone with the know how!  I know people who have been stalked on email and even finding person's phone numbers from email address and all over disagreements that should not have been that serious!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook, Bedore I retired, my last job was working for a litigation firm.  I thought I was fairly “worldly,” but I was in for a shock.  The stuff some people will do for money made my hair stand up straight.  

If someone can steal your identity, hope they don’t belong to a ring where they have people in different states use your stolen identity to buy things.  You have to fight it in every affected state.  What fun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

I am wondering if anyone connected with the new site on ProBoards can clarify a question I have.  Not trying to create a problem, just a clarification.

Going to the ProBoards site, reading the “Terms of Service,” I did note:

“11.  By registering with the Website, you thereby consent to receive periodic email communications regarding the Services, new product offers, promotions, and other matters.”

I  am certainly not an attorney, but have enough experience to realize you should be wary of what you agree to.  Is this why this site wants your date of birth and email address?

Again, my purpose is not to create problems.  Rather, just trying to gather facts.  thank you.

I saw that also.  Even to get a different email you have to enter phone number and name which can be linked to you by anyone with the know how!  I know people who have been stalked on email and even finding person's phone numbers from email address and all over disagreements that should not have been that serious!

@Pook @PamfromCT - Thank you! 

I too have privacy concerns about that new forum

And the owner/moderators are Q posters that have access to all of the users registration info. One of them said, 'oh none of that data means anything to me'. Okay but we don't have their data - give it to us so we are equal, and there is nothing preventing them from selling it or what if their systems are compromised and the data is stolen? Plus there is a bias/conflict of interest to have users also be moderators - doesn't sit right with me. And one of them tried to suggest that Q poses more risk for us than they do...ummm, not true, that's a huge stretch 😝🥴🤥

I know some are very lax and unconcerned about online security - that's why there are so many scammers- they are being compensated for the sold/stolen data. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

I too have privacy concerns about that new forum

And the owner/moderators are Q posters that have access to all of the users registration info. One of them said, 'oh none of that data means anything to me'. Okay but we don't have their data - give it to us so we are equal, and there is nothing preventing them from selling it or what if their systems are compromised and the data is stolen? Plus there is a bias/conflict of interest to have users also be moderators - doesn't sit right with me. And one of them tried to suggest that Q poses more risk for us than they do...ummm, not true, that's a huge stretch 😝🥴🤥

I know some are very lax and unconcerned about online security - that's why there are so many scammers- they are being compensated for the sold/stolen data. 

@Chi-town girl I'm in absolute agreement with you on this matter. Especially the owners and mods being members and having information about everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@BdBettyB

I don't disagree with your concerns one bit.   But I gave a fake birthday (always do) and my email address.  I had to add that for an email confirmation but I think I'll go change it now.  No Phone number.  If it was necessary I would have given a fake one.  I've been on line SO long and have so many anti-everything that's kept updated...anti adware,  spyware, malware, anti-virus.  My PC checks out "all systems go" all the time.  I know!  That doesn't mean I can fall victim at some point.  I don't visit questionable websites.  I don' open attachments without checking with the sender to find out what it is.  If something gets thru that I don't want, I tell Gmail it's spam and poof, it's gone...kinda like what the Q mods do to me! LOL

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@BdBettyB

I don't disagree with your concerns one bit.   But I gave a fake birthday (always do) and my email address.  I had to add that for an email confirmation but I think I'll go change it now.  No Phone number.  If it was necessary I would have given a fake one.  I've been on line SO long and have so many anti-everything that's kept updated...anti adware,  spyware, malware, anti-virus.  My PC checks out "all systems go" all the time.  I know!  That doesn't mean I can fall victim at some point.  I don't visit questionable websites.  I don' open attachments without checking with the sender to find out what it is.  If something gets thru that I don't want, I tell Gmail it's spam and poof, it's gone...kinda like what the Q mods do to me! LOL

I think I'm overly concerned with issues like this because my identity has been stolen twice. The first was in the 1990's. The police showed up at my worked to ask me questions. Apparently they arrested someone who had multiple IDS and info and I was one of them. She used my name to get into a local Jr College and tried to open CC in my name and others names. Luckily the cards didn't do through. I still have no idea how my information was stolen. The second was because a HR person at my then job  often left her door open and the employee files where right there for anyone to grab. Someone did and it took almost 2 years to get my life back. It was hell. I never want to go through that again. 

Honored Contributor

Oh gosh!  So it's really that bad to get things back to normal?  I keep hearing about it but it's from people selling cyber security so of course they're going to make it sound really horrendous.  I think things have  improved greatly in the last 20+ years.  Do you have Alexa or Google Nest devices in your home?  So sorry you had to go thru all that for TWO years!

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Oh gosh!  So it's really that bad to get things back to normal?  I keep hearing about it but it's from people selling cyber security so of course they're going to make it sound really horrendous.  I think things have  improved greatly in the last 20+ years.  Do you have Alexa or Google Nest devices in your home?  So sorry you had to go thru all that for TWO years!

Oh yes, things are much better now. What happened to me was in 1998 and in 2005. I thought after the first time when I signed up for credit fraud alerts I was totally covered but I wasn't, sadly. No, I don't have any of those Alexa electronics. Thanks for your kind words. I would never wish it upon anyone. It's terrible. One of my neighbors had the same and it took him 7 years to get through it. His case was an extreme example. He's okay now.