Respected Contributor

Re: Where to donate skin care/makeup/shampoo etc. (don't yell)

Shampoo doubles as hand wash ,body wash,and in a pinch,laundry detergent.Conditioners and lotions become shaving lotion. You could do as suggested and take a box to work for giveaways in the bathroom...that sounds like a cool idea.
Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Abrowneyegirl said:

Suggestion for the future:

on a regular biases I hold a 'Beauty Swap Meet' with friends and family. We all come with our baskets of beauty supplies they we bought or got free that does not work for us to swap and trade.

What scent, formula, color that does not work for us will surely work for someone else in the group. Since we are all close I do not mind using a hand lotion that my girlfriend bought and quickly realized she was allergic to the fragrance.

I also have each woman bring a 'favorite' item to "show and tell". We all learn about new products or old favorites from each other.

The Beauty Swap Meet is an excellent idea!!!

I'd love to be included in something like that.

Esteemed Contributor

Post them on freecycle, they'll go fast!

Respected Contributor

I wish I lived by you - I'd be happy to buy them/take them. How nice of you to think of others who might enjoy your products
Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 dex said: I just put them in the gym bathroom and they get snapped up...never lipstick or mascara...those I toss.I put lots of haicare,perfume,hand lotions liquid makeup etc.

I have seen the same thing done at my local gym. In addition to various makeup samples, shampoo, etc., sometimes people also bring in magazines also.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/15/2015 susan25 said:
On 3/15/2015 dex said: I just put them in the gym bathroom and they get snapped up...never lipstick or mascara...those I toss.I put lots of haicare,perfume,hand lotions liquid makeup etc.

I have seen the same thing done at my local gym. In addition to various makeup samples, shampoo, etc., sometimes people also bring in magazines also.

do you just randomly leave the items by the sink?

Frequent Contributor

I work with recovering heroin (and other drugs) addicts. My ladies come out of prison and can't even clip their nails. There residential faith based facilities that normally take used items. The State funded programs normally do not for security reasons. I am sure their are shelters, treatment programs, and probation officers like me willing to hand out baskets of your items.
Frequent Contributor

you should join a facebook community yardsale page for your area, tons of people would be willing to buy lightly used stuff there

Regular Contributor

Where I go to workout women will sometimes bring in a shopping bag of lightly used items and leave them with a sign to help yourself....they using go. But there are usually liquids in bottles.

Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Frannie said:

Our local women's shelter loves getting this stuff.

misspammie...I agree w/ Frannie.

Google Sierra House in East Orange, NJ for their address. They have always accepted boxes of items I have sent. I try to only send the very best and items that may have been opened but not used, maybe just tried. It is great to send the GWP items and I send them lots of new sample packets I don't need.

They send a tax receipt when requested so you can claim the garage sale value (not much I know) for a donation.

They have always sent me a lovely thank you so they DO accept 'practically' new items. Maybe they are a private organization as some one mentioned above...but they absolutely DO accept the items.