Valued Contributor

Where is the line for 'dewy' becoming 'greasy' ?

[ Edited ]

I grew up in an era where it was taboo to have an oily-looking complexion.  We powdered our noses, we blotted like crazy, and we bought tons of matte-finish makeup.  I just can't get used to all these 'dewy' complexions I'm seeing on hosts & models etc., and it is like watching a train wreck that I can't look away from..."Maybe she'll blot that ick on a commercial break...."  Nope.  Still slimy-looking.  

Am I the only one that goes a little nuts over this trend?  Eww.  I know dry skin doesn't look good either, but a wet-looking face is just not very attractive.  It looks like someone just stepped out of a sauna or ran a marathon. MInd you, the women who are doing the dew are beautiful by their own merit, I just think this wet-look detracts from their beauty.  I guess I'm getting too old for new trends, 'eh?  lol

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Super Contributor

Re: Where is the line for 'dewey' becoming 'greasy' ?

I am trying to adjust from using the Bare minerals powder ( I like the color, hate the mess) to the Bare Essentuals liquid, and I am having a hard time.  I feel like all my makeup ( lip liner eyeliner) wants to  and does slide.  What I think I want is a tinted moisturizer- I am looking at  the Dr Denese brand- spendy, but my tinted moisurizer that I loved from Principle Secret was discontinued- can't even find it on EBAY.  To answer Serenity's question- it's Oily when all your makeup slides, even after you put a setting powder on top.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't noticed any hosts that look like "train wrecks" due to being "greasy"  or "slimy looking." I also would not choose to describe a hosts appearance as "slimy."  I would think that from time to time the hosts get hot due to being under lights. Those that I have seen (male and female) with oily skin is due to nature, not due to their makeup.  In fact, I don't know anyone past their 20s who has (obviously) oily looking skin, but that is probably because they have learned how to take care of it by their 30s. 

I gave up putting powder on my face in my early 20s, and have no desire to go back.   On the other hand, I have no desire to police those who wear powder and am not disturbed by their appearance because they have different makeup choices. 

I use serums and moisterizers, so my goal is not dry looking skin.  For me it's not a fad.   The only time I have a problem with my face looking wet is when I'm sweating (usually due to being dressed in a suit in 90+ degree humid weather or when I'm having a hot flash, neither or which is helped - for me - by putting powder on my face.)

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

I see what you see, @Serenity-Now.  I wonder if some of it comes, too, from the "glimmer" facial products on the market.  No one looks like that naturally.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

SerenityNowMyndi, I am so glad you were brave enough to post this observation.  I agree .  When I see this oil slick look during makeup presentations I always think "Are you really going to leave her looking like that?"

Dr Denese promises us every presentation that Hydroshield will not leave us with that (greasy/slimy ) look,  She always advises her customers to wait five minutes until the shine goes away.  So we aren't the only ones who think that finish unfinished.  It makes me think dirty, unkempt probably, as you expressed, because of successful indoctrination as  a young woman learning how to present myself .  

Sometimes very dark skin shines brilliantly on its own and that shine was the fodder for many jokes and ridicule.  So- it seems odd that people are seeking out this very sheen and paying for it.  But - To each her own Right?  Meanwhile I'm placing another order for Urban Decay Naked Face Powder, guaranteed to take down the shine, keep the oil at bay and some ByeBye Pores.

Seems you've picked up a predator, sorry.  The best advice I've read is to ignore them just like you would any playground bully, but it's hard to refrain from a retort for the ill intentioned soul.  

Honored Contributor

I, also, have not noticed anyone's makeup looking "slimmy".  I am also glad the days of coating your face with matte makeup so you look like you are wearing makeup.  Then when you put the pressed powder over it stuck to any wrinkle you might have or if you smiled too much it creased and when you sweat you had no makeup on parts of your face - just the powder you kept putting on to try to keep the heavy matte makeup from coming off or you carried a bottle of foundation with you to apply several times daily.  If you didn't powder often then you had a heavy greasy makeup not all everywhere look which was not attractive at all.  Nope I love the lighter foundations that have actual skincare in and have the effect of no makeup at all.  I love never having to reapply or touchup my makeup anymore either!

Frequent Contributor

I don't know that I have noticed greasy looks from the hosts, but I really hate the terminology some hosts and guests use. I don't want to look dewy (mainly from have severely oily skin most my life), juicy, plump or like butter. There are a ton more that grate on my nerves and turn me off from wanting to purchase them.  Seems like there are a lot of food comparisons.  I don't get the logical connection there, but it might just be me. 

Honored Contributor

I really hate that wet feeling on my face ..... liquid makeup and what have you needs to be set with a finishing powder.  

Can you imagine a woman with a "dewy" face hugging someone .... her makeup would come off on their clothing!

How is THAT  as good thing?

Honored Contributor

There's a HUGE difference between "oily" and glowing or having just a bit of gleam (not shine) to your skin.

Healthy skin is not matte or dry- looking, which only makes you look older anyway.

Plus this is 2015, and change in general is (usually) good.

So is stepping outside of your comfort zone, and staying up-to-date and relevant.

I'm sure you can find a happy medium, Serenity; you're never too old for learning and growing.  8)

Respected Contributor

I think there is a fine line between dewey and greasy looking.  If you have oily skin, dewey just makes you look greasy sooner.  I do like the look of moist healthy skin and there are a few products to help you with that. I think it all has to be applied lightly or it goes wrong.