Esteemed Contributor

Where does that mica ingredient come from?

I know mica is a common ingredient in makeup...it's probably in every face powder including blush and eyeshadows that you have. But where does it come from? I read an article in today's British Guardian newspaper website that paints a disturbing picture. Mica is mined in India using child labor so that may be in your makeup. But who knows? I never knew or even thought about where the minerals come from.

Ugh. Anyway the info is half way down the article page...the first half is about glitter particles and where those end up and that's not a pretty picture either.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/jan/21/losing-its-sparkle-the-dark-side-of-glitter

Honored Contributor

Re: Where does that mica ingredient come from?

@TY wrote:

I know mica is a common ingredient in makeup...it's probably in every face powder including blush and eyeshadows that you have. But where does it come from? I read an article in today's British Guardian newspaper website that paints a disturbing picture. Mica is mined in India using child labor so that may be in your makeup. But who knows? I never knew or even thought about where the minerals come from.

Ugh. Anyway the info is half way down the article page...the first half is about glitter particles and where those end up and that's not a pretty picture either.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/jan/21/losing-its-sparkle-the-dark-side-of-glitter

I agree.  Health AND human concerns.

Honored Contributor

This is one instance where you could have learned more than you want to know simply by googling "mica".     

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica

It's a naturally occurring mineral found in many places in the world.  I used to have a chunk of it.  Its clear but smokey and occurs in paper thin layers which you can peel apart with a knife or even a fingernail, into sheets. It's shiny like glass.  I suppose it's used to add glitter and luminescence to make-up.  I've never heard anyone suggest it was harmful.  The piece I had was mined in the USA.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I see many replies but will just say when I was young girl and playing in the in the earth and in grass and things kids do, I always liked the rather oridnary looking stones that seemed softer then others and could break off had noted sparkles within them. How would I know one day this type of stone/rock whatever would be in my makeup one day? Amazing. Oh I'm sure it was used a heck of alot millions of years ago on faces and thank goodess it's been so poplular since shimmery not sparkles or glitter really light up my face. I will not be without mica!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

Mica is found almost everywhere.  Mining operations see this everyday.  Does NOT indicate horrible things for children everywhere.

Honored Contributor

The horrific exploitation of children who are used in manufacturing goes way beyond one such instance.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This is one instance where you could have learned more than you want to know simply by googling "mica".     

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica

It's a naturally occurring mineral found in many places in the world.  I used to have a chunk of it.  Its clear but smokey and occurs in paper thin layers which you can peel apart with a knife or even a fingernail, into sheets. It's shiny like glass.  I suppose it's used to add glitter and luminescence to make-up.  I've never heard anyone suggest it was harmful.  The piece I had was mined in the USA.

@Kachina624  Mica is also used to coat beads to get that specific grey/brown/smokey metallic color.

Honored Contributor

Hi. Mica comes from a rock known as mica schist. It has a natural glisten to it. It is a very soft rock and it has been used to add shimmer to cosmetics for years. 

Contributor

I just looked at the ingredient list of an It brand Eyeshadow palette and mica is the first ingredient! QVC hosted brands should provide details about where they source their mica ingredients.
Honored Contributor

@Triciawizard wrote:
I just looked at the ingredient list of an It brand Eyeshadow palette and mica is the first ingredient! QVC hosted brands should provide details about where they source their mica ingredients.

Why?  If they had to do that then should't they have to provide details about where each and every ingredient is sourced?  Sometimes we're lucky just to get a list of ingredients.  If it's a concern, call the company and ask.