Honored Contributor

Re: Where Do You Get Your Information For Beauty ?

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

1) My mirror

2) Beautypedia

3) Makeupalley

4) Credible sites online when it comes to skincare and ingredients.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Mostly here although I do enjoy Wayne Goss Youtube videos.

Honored Contributor

I have learned a lot from the members here, but I also do my own online research to find out about products and certain ingredients.  I've used Beautypedia before, but I find that I can't always rely on them.  Oftentimes PB will give something a low rating and then elsewhere I'll see reviews from users who actually love a product.  In the end, it all boils down to personal experience, if I decide to try something and if I decide to continue or pitch it. 

Trusted Contributor

Beauty products are kind of like garage sales.  One gal's junk is another one's treasure.  I have found wonderful reviews and information from Beautypedia, Makeup Alley, You Tube, this forum, and other online sources.  But until I've tried something I won't know it will work for me.

Trusted Contributor

Lisa Eldridge (lisaeldridge.com)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Books and fashion magazines. I also was lucky enough to meet a couple of people from the industry who gave me some wonderful hints when I was very young. Just about everything I learned then applies even more so now.....less is more is my motto and always has been.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I have learned a lot from the ladies here on the forum.  I don't look at blogs because I feel a lot of those people have no real, formal knowledge.  

The best reference I have ever come across is Allure magazine.  They poll readers for their favorite products and come up with a master list yearly, and have articles about new products as well as instruction complete with index cards on the high points.

Where do you get your information?

So, I don't understand this. I'm pretty sure most of us have no "formal knowledge" of beauty, so what makes the ladies of the forum better than bloggers? And if Allure is polling their own readers, how is that information better than a  blogger's? I'm guessing Allure most readers have no "formal knowledge," either.

I think the Allure magazine articles and instructions sound great, but I recommend you take a look at your own preconceptions of who might offer good information and the idea that bloggers need to have "formal knowledge" while forum posters and Allure poll takers get a free pass on that.

Many bloggers and YouTubers have a lot of GREAT information, the real issue is sorting the wheat from the chaff and finding the best people.

@ChynnaBlue*****I don't listen to bloggers because a lot of them are very young and don't have the learned knowledge these ladies do.  I also feel a lot of the bloggers just like to "play" in makeup.

Here, I feel I "know" a lot of people and I've read enough to have more confidence in their opinions.

In Allure, when two thousand write in and say that this makeup smears on your eyes or that makeup wipe left most of their makeup on, that's quite a lot of success or failures.  I'll try that product.  If they take five self tanners and compare how they look and wear in color photos, that gives me a lot of information.

It's a very informative resource.

Allure 'readers' are probably much like QVC 'voters' for best product.

These businesses are paid by the product to advertise.  

If Mascara XYZ pays Allure, all of a sudden Mascara XYZ is

the end-all-be-all of mascaras.  

Oh sure, the product might be good, but I don't trust any of customer polling for best product shizz.  It's basically who ponied up the most $$ to get Allure/Q's attention.  And also...those bloggers are given products to promote...same-same.

I try & read articles on "iconic" brands.

If a product has the legs to be around for several decades, I listen. 

Respected Contributor

I agree that Allure (and others) may be paid to push a product. Some You Tube guru's get a lot of free product, so you have to determine if they are plugging for that company. Some videos are sponsored. These guru's can make big $. 

Respected Contributor

New MU releases or trends? YT, blogs, Allure and other magazines, and here. Skincare information or info re: ingredients? Here, beautypedia, other forums, and reputable sites. 

Honored Contributor

I appreciate all the advice I've received here on the forum!

I was a charter subscriber to Allure, but I don't read it much any longer. It's a lot different from its earlier days with too many ads and too many promos. 

Musings of a Muse blogger. I don't do YouTube reviews, but I find her to be honest and thorough. She usually reviews TSV's in advance. Smiley Happy