Honored Contributor

Re: Where Do You Get Your Information For Beauty ?

@beach-mom wrote:

I appreciate all the advice I've received here on the forum!

I was a charter subscriber to Allure, but I don't read it much any longer. It's a lot different from its earlier days with too many ads and too many promos. 

Musings of a Muse blogger. I don't do YouTube reviews, but I find her to be honest and thorough. She usually reviews TSV's in advance. Smiley Happy

Once they ousted Linda Wells, editor in chief, I noticed Allure changed drastically. I know I won't be renewing my subscription after years of being a suscriber.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The places I don't look for skincare/makeup advice:

-  sales associates at makeup counters

-  women's fashion magazines

-  blogs and YouTube vids by, frankly, ditzy women that can't stay focused long enough to give a concise review of the product without going off on superfulous tangents

The places I do look for skincare/makeup advice:

-  lots of general Googling around when looking up ingredients and/or reviews for specific products before purchase

-  FutureDerm website under the Skincare and Ingredients tabs

-  Beautypedia for ingredient info and skincare product reviews

-  HotandFlashy50 website for makeup and skincare product reviews, this blog/YouTube channel is targeted for the 50+ age group

-  For makeup application, I do enjoy the Wayne Goss and Lisa Eldridge videos, although they are mostly geared for women younger than I am.

I've sort of evolved into a skincare ingredient 'geek' and am far more interested in what's in a skincare product, how it's formulated and what it can do for my particular skin issues than the name on the outside of the package or the price.  Just because a product is from a fancy, expensive luxury line doesn't mean it's better, it just has better marketing!

Honored Contributor

I get info from lots of places. Not any one specific place.

Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

Beautypedia, this forum, magazines, online articles

Trusted Contributor

I'm lucky to have come in contact with an international nail expert (research chemist, product development) whose knowledge and expertise I've come to trust. There's a lot of of misleading, and downright wrong, information out there. I've learned enough from him to be far better at evaluating other beauty products. 

I do use youtube and blogs for info regarding application techniques, ease of use, color, that type of thing. But I certainly don't expect the vast majority of youtubers or bloggers to have much in the way of scientific background. So I'm going to take comments re specific ingredients, "creative" uses, etc with a grain of salt.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The schooling I have had and real life experience working in the beauty  industry for about 25 yrs. Dermatologists and plastic surgeons I have worked with along with other estheticians. My clients.  I think beautypedia and Makeupalley are great resources too. With skincare and makeup I first investigate the ingredients and then if they are something I am interested in, I will look for comments, I mean there are people on MUA that rave about Seabreeze, so being knowledgeable is a must for sorting opinions. I find some of the reviews on there so in depth and really great. I appreciate those that really take their time and give a detailed review, they certainly don't have to.

Never ever ever once have I let someone trying to sell me skin care or makeup try to educate me. Well maybe I should take that back. When I first started cosmetology school all types of hair care companies try to come in and tell you why their product is the best and why you should NEVER use drug store products. I believed that for a short time until I started learning about ingredients and just getting experience. I still know cosmetologists/colorists who really think that drugstore products are not as good. They REALLY believe that, of course they don't make up the majority of my friends in the industry but it always surprises me when I hear that from a stylist who has been working for over 2 yrs. As with skin care and makeup reps at beauty counters/TV, I do always listen politely but I find more times than not, they are way off base especially when it concerns what the product or ingredients in the product can do. I also don't usually correct them, I just let it go unless I find what they are saying just so over the top. Then I have to. 

Information on beauty is so personal though and I think that is what most people get frustrated with. One persons Holy Grail mascara/foundation/moisturizer simply will not be everyones even if they share the same skintype and coloring and that goes for every type of skin care or makeup.

I do think that for the average woman off the street (and even professionals) that beautypedia is an invaluable place to get information on ingredients. In regards to actual science and research, it is IMO one of the best places there is to go. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK