Honored Contributor

Re: When you lose your looks. Success stories please

I can always try to get rid of the wrinkles, the sagging skin and the excess weight. But...

"The best thing to do is just to get rid of the criticism."  - Linda Evans

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 - your grandmother sounds like a very smart woman. My mom seemed to be ahead of her time as well in that she went to work every day - probably some to help pay the bills and some for her "pin" money.

I had two daughters and always  told them not to depend on anyone else to support them. They needed to have a good education. Both went to undergrad and on to graduate school and are very successful women.

Regular Contributor

@violann wrote:

“LOSE” my “LOOKS”?? Wait just one minute here.

I have JUST lived through the HARDEST 3 years of my life. My family constellation has weathered the birth of three, one with a disability, a totally unexpected painfully grieved death, a cancer diagnosis, a diagnosis of dementia, betrayal by a once trusted ally, a diagnosis of an additional life threatening disorder......

I have lost far too much sleep, ignored my health, denied my limited access to “fun”.

So maybe because I never cared much about my looks to start with, maybe because my disabled grandchild has started to walk, maybe because my oldest grandchild knows every word of every Disney movie there is, maybe because I’ve FINALLY reconnected to a part of my life that I thought was irretrievably vanished, maybe because DH is slowly working on HIS health issues......

I’m starting to smile again when I look at myself in the bathroom mirror. A little known fact- even with a Turkey Wattle that extends almost to your navel, a smile drags up your neck and makes it look far better than it looks when you frown.

My hair? I go to a fantastic woman just a little under my age, who has discovered a style that takes all of my puny white hairs, gives them a specific assignment and makes me feel like Jamie Lee Curtis (I LOVE HER HAIR).

I have NO MIRACLE PRODUCTS to offer you dear @Beautiful life but I can tell you that part of your job is to stand up to your stress(es) and take ‘em on one at a time and change one little change that makes your situation just a little better. 

You’re 53. I’m not. I’m almost a generation older than you are. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to give up on myself and fall backwards into ageism and defeat. I refuse to be something I used to be, and wear my life’s battle stripes like the badges of honor they are.

I’m willing to BET that somewhere within you, you have a miracle that will bring back a sparkle to your eye and a spring to your step. 

Seek out what YOU need to do to restore yourself, and don’t give up until you find it.

@violann  I love these words.  You never know who are you going to help in the cyber world and today I needed to read this.  I am turning 41 this year and I feel so old!  And then I look at my older relatives 80+ that are so vibrant and enjoy every single minutia of life.  Looks are important to a lot of us because when we look good we feel better and everything else seems to work out fine, but if I have to pick between looks and health I would pick health every single time.  

Some people don't even make it to their thirties, we are lucky and should be grateful to be here.  I recently learned had precancerous cysts removed what the heck!  I didn't even now precancer was a thing.  I just knew I was in so much pain and blaming it all on my out of control high blood sugar and what I thought was the normal aging process.  Uhm... no!  Thank goodness I found time off work (why is it so hard to ask for time off work to get a health check?! jeez!) and paid my doctor a visit.  

@Beautiful life  I've been losing my hair since I was in my early twenties (it's hereditary in my family),  and I have also found fantastic products like a hair laser, great vitamins and simply try to cut down on a lot of hair products that were clogging my scalp.  I love Wen but I use it as a conditioner and never on my scalp.  It works wonders.  I use a shampoo for thinning hair on my scalp that's also free of irritants as my scalp is very sensitive (I have dermatitis).  For your skin your best ally is spf and a good nighttime prescription strength treatment like Retin-A.  If your neck has loose skin there aren't too many topical treatments that can lift the skin to make a dramatic change so you should consider checking a laser tightening treatment and in the worst case something more intense like a neck lift, but try a few less invasive things before going to that route.  Chin up!  You are still alive.  Go out for a walk, breathe some oxygen, enjoy nature.  Nobody is truly sure if this is the only chance we get at life, what if it is the only one?  Make the most out of it.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life @glam_girl @riley1 @SilleeMee @Trinity11 

My story is that one day I looked in the mirror and thought “who is that?”

Maybe that was the first time in many years!

I have found that of all the surprises, the most crucial one (and one I could fix) was what eating had done to my liver! With the addition of fiber in the form of fruits and veggies, I think my NAFL (No Alcohlic Fatty Liver) is repairing itself.

Since I feel better I look prettier! And with that in place, I can now go to the next step of “winning back my pretty.” (Oooo that doesn’t sound right lol)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Aunt is around your age.  She does the following and it shows and helped her so much.

Follows a Clean Food Plan, eating clean, whole foods. 

She got a wig and also a hairpiece. Wears one at different times.  On her real hair she uses Rosemary Oil mixed with shampoo when she washes her hair.

She began walking to the Leslie Sansone exercises on You Tube. Costs her nothing, no gym, no dvds.

Also, does relaxation and positive thinking. Reduces her stress.

She also does a Peel for her skin once a week. Not the kind at a Dr office, just an organic type.

She uses organic skin care products. Plus uses a Nuface and it has helped her face with the sagginess.

She stays out of the sun.  All this has helped her appearance very much.

Wish you the best!

Honored Contributor

I'm on the late side of 70 and I spend time with skincare, etc.  I weigh a lot less than I did in high school and am more active with walking and a class for seniors.  I have had and do have a lot of stress include being alone in my "old age."   Right now I don't have a hair issue, but I do have other health issues.  I liked the suggestion that you get a manicure--I do my own, but my nails are always polished with a color that goes with what I am going to wear.  I do get pedicures at a salon.  I try to eat healthy although I have dietary restrictions for health reasons.  I don't socialize much.  I try to keep busy at home with doing some of the gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc.  I have a dog which is a huge help.  I do more skincare than when I was a lot younger and I never leave the house (even to walk) without make-up and sunscreen.   The skincare and make-up is kind of a routine now and makes me feel better.

Respected Contributor

Try yoga. You'll glow!

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life  I know as I age(68), everyone who is actually young is beautiful to me. 53 is still young and although you have had a rough time and don't look your best at this time, you can turn that around if you so desire. I know 3 years ago when my health went down the drain and I lost so much weight, I looked like an old hag. I was never really heavy, but when you lose 20lbs when you are older and sick, well you can imagine. I'm assuming you are physically healthy so you can cut the calories and exercise and actually look good, 30 lbs. thinner. As far as your skin and hair, if you don't need to color your hair don't. I would treat myself to a good haircut and a facial with makeup application, if you are not good at it. Everyone looks better with a little color on the face especially as we age.Other than plastic surgery, no matter what people say, you cannot fight gravity with lotions, potions and appliances, I have tried it all. Lastly, if you need someone to talk to after all your troubles, find someone you trust and just let it all go.Sorry for all your troubles and good luck in the future.

Super Contributor

Thank you ladies!! I has a weight problem almost my entire life. I did lose weight and kept it off for a few years. I was depressed after my momma died and gained some weight back. My hair was thinning years before but got worse. 

Trusted Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

‘I have definitely lost my looks. I’m going on 53. Stress has really aged me. I hate my appearance now. I am over weight by 35 lbs. I have thinning hair and a neck that hangs. 

I know there are no miracle prouducts but hoping to find anything that HELPS with thinning hair and turkey necks besides surgery. Has anyone had success? Would love some pictures😊 

THANK YOU

53 is young! If you lose the excess weight, you will be rocking it in no timeWoman Wink Its a big confidence booster when your clothes fit better & you get some of that tone back. I would just invest in a good workout program & eat healthy! Good luck!