Valued Contributor

Re: When you lose your looks. Success stories please

@Shanus wrote:

@PinkSunset I offered the OP some helpful info which is what she asked for, but also added that IMHO, beauty and self esteem comes from the inside.

Unfortunately, many women do not accept aging well.

well, you can count me as one of them. I continue to exercise when I can, eat healthy and use good skincare. I despise looking old. 

Valued Contributor

I'm the same age -- with the same struggles.  THANK YOU to the ladies that have responded to this post, you are an inspiration!!!! 

Thinning hair is an issue for me.  I use Rogain, and it seems to help.  I've started using Ancient Nutrition multi-collagen powder (two scoops a day) and I've already seen a big improvement in my nails.  I hope to see long-term improvement with hair growth and better skin.

And then there's weight loss . . . 

I've struggled all of my adult life with weight, mostly because I'm lazy and undisciplined.  But I'm gonna do what you ladies suggest -- cut calories & carbs, and commit to using my pilates performer. 

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences -- success stories are the best inspiration!!!!!

Occasional Contributor

I suggest getting a professional makeover.  Maybe the stylists can help you see the possibilities that an updated hairstyle, the right make-up, and the right clothes will do for you. 

None of this can be found in a jar of cream or anti-aging potion.  Why are there so many on the market?  Because they work only if YOU think they work.  Others may not see a difference.

Go on a diet if need be, and smile,  and be glad you are ONLY 53.  

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunsetI agree with your post.  I believe that if you look and feel your best outwardly that definitely sets the tone about you feelings and how stress affects you.  I don't think it's about pressure to look great and young it's about each person's perception of themselves as they age and awful things do happen to our looks.  Focusing on superficial flaws is negative and I can't find a positive in those aging flaws and that cannot be blamed on social media - just the facts of aging!!  Trying to find products that actually work and finding a physical workout that you like and will keep doing is a challange but there is something that will work for everyone and finding it can be fun and positive.  Once products/workouts actually work and the changes can be seen then the negative will turn to a positive about looks.  

I know I don't care what anyone on social media or anywhere says about aging, I know what I see in the mirror and how I feel about it and until I can make/see some positive difference in the aging process due to what I do then I cannot help feeling a bit down but the high of seeing a real change and getting compliments on my looks makes me feel so great that I have made changes that actually have made a difference. 

Honored Contributor

Aging is inevitable and our appearance changes.  There's no stopping it.  All we can do is take care of what we have the best way we can, as budget and willingness provides.  Without getting too preachy, I get my value, worth, and acceptance from The One who gave His life for me rather than whatever my looks, size, or clothing do for me.  

Honored Contributor

I'm a lot older than OP .... I didn't "lose my looks."  I still have them ... just a bit different than they were.  

Thinking about my female (and male) friends and family ... I don't even know anyone who "lost their looks."  

Respected Contributor

@Beautiful life All of us here understand how you feel.  We've all had that moment when we looked in the mirror and saw an older woman.  For me, it happened the first time I looked at my face after cataract surgery two years ago!  Woman Surprised

I'm 70 now, so there's no kidding myself, but I still take care of myself, exercise, and put on my best face before I walk out the door.  A gentleman friend who is just a few years younger than me told me something recently that really stuck.  He said he always looked forward to seeing me at the gym because I have such a pretty smile!

Girl, our faces start to drop as we get older, and it can make us look unhappy, or even angry on the outside.  The fastest and most effective way to a facelift is a big smile!  I try to smile for everyone.  It makes them happier, and even makes me a lot of new friends!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life wrote:

‘I have definitely lost my looks. I’m going on 53. Stress has really aged me. I hate my appearance now. I am over weight by 35 lbs. I have thinning hair and a neck that hangs. 

I know there are no miracle prouducts but hoping to find anything that HELPS with thinning hair and turkey necks besides surgery. Has anyone had success? Would love some pictures😊 

THANK YOU

I disagree with the premise here. I don't think you can lose your looks. I think that with age the body breaks down faster than it repairs itself naturally. So you can let things be and allow them to break down unopposed. Or you can work extra hard to maintain things.

The main issue is accepting the reality that the older you get, the harder maintenence becomes. It's a mindset. Either you commit to repair, or you don't. (Just like if you owned a classic car.) Neither choice is wrong. But you can't expect a result if you don't put in the necessary sustained work and attention.

A product won't do anything. It can only assist as part of a larger commitment. Driven by you.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

I love the advice that I have read here.  Now, after eating chips and queso, I'm going to make myself a green drink and eat better the rest of today!

Honored Contributor

My grandmother taught me well. She told me at a very young age ..probably about 14, that someday I would not be beautiful. She emphasized that using your appearance to get ahead in life was a fruitless, short-term venture. She told me to make sure that I developed other abilities. She was the one who instilled in me a love for learning and inspired me to educate myself. I came from a family that believed a woman should just marry and "settle down." She told me you can never take knowledge away from a woman ....no matter how old she became. Developing your mind is far more important than finding the latest procedure to "look young."

Maybe that is why aging isn't as important to me in the physical sense as losing my ability to learn new things and rely on my intellect.

As far as older people go, I have always admired and revered them. Maybe because I felt such love for my grandmother (who lived with us) I am sailing into aging without fear of a new line, wrinkle or not looking like I did years ago. Fact of the matter, I will never again look like I used to and frankly, that's OK by me.....