Regular Contributor

Re: When you lose your looks. Success stories please

I practice common sense in this game called aging. I have very little stress, I keep my weight down, I exercise with water aerobics and cardio classes, I wear age-appropriate clothing and makeup, and I try to wear a great lipstick color and have a hair style that works for my naturally curly hair. At my 50th High School reunion many classmates said I looked about the same as when I did then. I know I am aging but I try to practice the above. Having a postive attitude about aging helps. I am 70.

Super Contributor

Thank you ladies.

Respected Contributor

Image result for aging beautifully quotes

Trusted Contributor

I haven't lost my looks. My looks have matured, and I still admire my favorite features and am not so crazy about some other parts--but then, I felt the same way about my looks when I was young.

More important than looks to me is the fact that this body has gotten me through a life of hard work, emotional and physical trauma, and the ticker is still ticking. What an amazing gift from God this is.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life 

You've been talking about your thinning hair and turkey neck as long as you've been posting here.  You've said you have used supplements and hair treatments to no avail.  After all these years it's time to accept it. Many ladies have thinning hair, particularly as they age.  Find a stylist that can help you work with it or use extensions.

As for your neck, no exercise is going to make it go away.  There are surgeries available but they are costly. Live with it; no one sees it but you.

More than anything, you need a dose of self confidence.  (In the past)You've said your daughter tells you you're ugly.  Your husband told you you were fat. Your mother was demanding. Do not allow people, particularly your loved ones, talk to you like that. It is just wrong.

You asked for pictures. When I pass a mirror, this is what I see.

Image result for scream picture

I'm 68, have no eyebrows and (at the present time) I'm a bag of skin and bones.  My hair was once my crowning glory and now it's gone. Still, everyday I do my make-up, find an outfit I think looks nice and plop on a wig, scarf or hat and away I go.

Super Contributor

HI,

you are so correct. I have been complaining for years maybe hoping something new came out to help with problem areas.

I think my lack of self esteem comes from being overweight most of my life and being teased and harassed from childhood. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the thing @Beautiful life  you could fix every physical thing about your body and still feel miserable.

That's because true happiness does not come from what our bodies look like, it comes from within ourselves.

Find a therapist and work on your issues that you have been carrying around for your whole entire life.

Until you fix that, you'll never be truly happy no matter what your physical body looks like.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Here's the thing @Beautiful life  you could fix every physical thing about your body and still feel miserable.

That's because true happiness does not come from what our bodies look like, it comes from within ourselves.

Find a therapist and work on your issues that you have been carrying around for your whole entire life.

Until you fix that, you'll never be truly happy no matter what your physical body looks like.

^^^^^^^^^

What she said!!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Try Yoga.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 

Trinity11, your post put a big smile on my face.  Thank you for posting.  And a big thanks to your grandmother.  A very wise woman.