Super Contributor

When you lose your looks. Success stories please

‘I have definitely lost my looks. I’m going on 53. Stress has really aged me. I hate my appearance now. I am over weight by 35 lbs. I have thinning hair and a neck that hangs. 

I know there are no miracle prouducts but hoping to find anything that HELPS with thinning hair and turkey necks besides surgery. Has anyone had success? Would love some pictures😊 

THANK YOU

Valued Contributor

Re: When you lose your looks. Success stories please

[ Edited ]

When I retired 12 years ago, I was 40 pounds overweight. I started eating 1200 calories a day of the foods I like, no special foods. I didn't cut out any catagory of food. Wrote everything down and didn't go over 1200 calories. Smaller portions.

I started working out on the Pilates Reformer. It helped to strengthen my body, including my neck. I still have some loose skin but because my neck muscles are strong and my neck is straight, it looks much better. I lost the 40 pounds in 4 months.

I use Wen Sweet Almond Mint cleansing conditioner and my hair is in very good condition. It looks much thicker because of the good condition. I also take Andrew Lessman supplements including Marine Collegen Peptides. It has helped my skin tremendously and my hair.

Blessings to you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life I've always had fine, thin hair.  I'm almost 60.  Now that the grey hairs are coming in, my hair has a little more volume.  I also add a couple of drops of Isomers Copper P serum as well.  My hair seems fuller with more volume.  For your turkey neck, you should check out the Define version of Skinn's Neck Amour Serum on HSN.   

Also, please remember that beauty is only skin deep and our impressions of ourselves are often very different from the way that others see us.

Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life  I discovered Fresh products.  Fresh has been around for a while but I never gave them much thought.  Not sure why I became interested but I am loving the Vitamin Nectar moisturizer with vitamins C, E and B5.  It really makes my face and neck skin look good. I also believe in facial oils Marula, Phoenix oil.  The best thing for skin is to keep it well hydrated.  Also, try to drink more water.  It will flush your system and help your skin.  There is no turning back with the aging process so enjoy the ride and make the best of it.  Be glad you are still around!  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Yes, be glad you are here. Go to Pinterest and get inspired by all the older models that ARE still beautys, not the older models that are just older token figures. Eat well and exercise, YOU are in control of the weight tell yourself that. If it was all that important you would lose the weight, but it isnt, at this time, we learn more about who and what we are and you have plenty of time to get your groove back. Heck, I am olderthan you and have younger men hit on me, I would love to be 53 again. Also, have fun, buy a wig, indulge in some really expensive MU like Chanel, just lipstick or one special thing. Get rid of most of the products that are heavy in chemicals, eat really quality food that feeds the skin from within, dont drink the anto ager kool aid peddeled here, nothing works, but hard work. It isnt in a jar. Stay positive and love yourself too.

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life  First, I think you probably are seeing much that others do not see in you and are not as awful looking as you say!  

I come from a long line of face melters with saggy skin and jowls so I thought that was my fate.  I discovered SS Facemaster in my 40's and it sure does help.  Then I tried Serious Skincare's EGG device and that lifted my neck and jowls even more.  Then SKINN came out with Trimlastic (which isn't available anymore because the reviews were not great due to tightness of the chin thing.) which really worked to tighten the turkey neck.  I now have no jowls (pictures show the huge difference.  You can buy chin straps from Amazon and get a good quality neck and  chin product.  I use Skinn's Neck Amour.  I also had receding hair on my temples and after using Hairmax for 6 months no longer do.  You have to use all the products I mentioned faithfully and not just use sporadically  to get and maintain results though.

I have always worked out in the early morning for at least an hour when I worked and more now that I am retired and that has proven for me to lessen stress plus keep some weight off.  I use the chin strap and neck product while I work out.  I am 66 and feel great and look and feel way better than I did even in my 40s.  We all age and have a different look than when younger so nothing lost - just changed.  I don't expect to look like I did when younger and my skin all over has aged and will never be as supple and smoother but I'm happy with the results I get from products I use.

Don't be so hard on yourself and look at the positives in your life.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

At 53 you can still turn that ship around. Lol!

It first starts with your mindset. Stand in front of a mirror and notice all the pretty things about you. Maybe you love your eye color, or your nose. Or your mouth might be a nice shape.  Are your legs still in good shape? Do you love your nails and your hands?  Focus on what you like. Also when a woman is over fifty, if she is smart, she will do things for herself and if nobody likes it they can lump it. If anyone is critical of you, try to stay away from them. For stress, read articles on how to manage it and try to go for a daily short walk. That helps with stress and some depression.

Next, come up with a healthy eating plan that you can live with. There are a gazillion out there, but pick the one that resonates with you and do it. Stay away from junk food, but don't beat yourself up if you have a piece of birthday cake.

Same with an exercise plan. A pair of sneakers from walmart and some light weights for strength will help get you going. Youtube has a ton of exercise videos for beginners. Or if you prefer a machine or you want to sign up for a fun class, then do it. As they say, the best exercise is the one you will do.

Skincare, pick a line that is within your budget and make sure you use it day and night. I also love microcurrent. That will help tone. I use it and it works for me.

Finally, go have your thyroid checked. My hair was thinnig when I turned 50, I couldn't lose weight and I didn't have a lot of strength to work out. It was a struggle. Once I got my thyroid in working order again, all those things improved.

For motivation, I'm inspired by Ernestine Shepard and Annette Larkins and Tonya Zavasta.

We can never look the same as when we were young. But that's not bad or good, it's just different. Focus on the good parts. You can do this!Heart

Edited to add that I do all of these things on the regular. I am older than you and I have young women asking me all the time about what I do to look the way I do at my age. I love inspiring young women and I try to set an example for them that you can be vibrant at any age.

Honored Contributor

“LOSE” my “LOOKS”?? Wait just one minute here.

I have JUST lived through the HARDEST 3 years of my life. My family constellation has weathered the birth of three, one with a disability, a totally unexpected painfully grieved death, a cancer diagnosis, a diagnosis of dementia, betrayal by a once trusted ally, a diagnosis of an additional life threatening disorder......

I have lost far too much sleep, ignored my health, denied my limited access to “fun”.

So maybe because I never cared much about my looks to start with, maybe because my disabled grandchild has started to walk, maybe because my oldest grandchild knows every word of every Disney movie there is, maybe because I’ve FINALLY reconnected to a part of my life that I thought was irretrievably vanished, maybe because DH is slowly working on HIS health issues......

I’m starting to smile again when I look at myself in the bathroom mirror. A little known fact- even with a Turkey Wattle that extends almost to your navel, a smile drags up your neck and makes it look far better than it looks when you frown.

My hair? I go to a fantastic woman just a little under my age, who has discovered a style that takes all of my puny white hairs, gives them a specific assignment and makes me feel like Jamie Lee Curtis (I LOVE HER HAIR).

I have NO MIRACLE PRODUCTS to offer you dear @Beautiful life but I can tell you that part of your job is to stand up to your stress(es) and take ‘em on one at a time and change one little change that makes your situation just a little better. 

You’re 53. I’m not. I’m almost a generation older than you are. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to give up on myself and fall backwards into ageism and defeat. I refuse to be something I used to be, and wear my life’s battle stripes like the badges of honor they are.

I’m willing to BET that somewhere within you, you have a miracle that will bring back a sparkle to your eye and a spring to your step. 

Seek out what YOU need to do to restore yourself, and don’t give up until you find it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have thinning hair. The best thing that works for me is a hair laser, CapillusPro cap. 

Sorry to say that there's really nothing, other than surgery or laser treatments, which will tighten the skin on the neck. I had laser skin tightening and that worked. Now I maintain it by using a microneedle to keep my skin smooth and firm.

ETA - I will be turning 64 this month.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Beautiful life - Having a child with disabilities brings much stress - I know stress all too well and how it can affect your well being and appearance.

However, imo, it seems like you have more going on within your own self. All the diets and plastic surgery in the world are not going to make or change you until you change yourself. And, you are the only one that can do that.

Start looking at the positives you have. Don't look in the mirror and think Oh, my looks are gone. Instead, think today is a better day and I can do this!

Maybe start making small changes to your daily life. Change to a healthy life style. Adjust your eating habits. Join a gym - at your age I was going to the gym 5 days a week. Even, just go out and take a walk - listen to the birds and the quiet of nature.

There are many things you can do - you just have to want to do them. Remember, all of these things are for YOU.