Honored Contributor

Re: When we don't want to leave the house without makeup

I wear make up when I go out because I look better with makeup, I actually wear makeup even if I'm not going out.  But, I don't think anyone would treat me any differently if I wasn't wearing it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I have rarely ever worn make-up.....well part of the reason is that I have never felt able to properly and artfully apply eye liner and eye shadow correctly. I was fortunate only in having dark skin......have never worn concealer. My good friend will not leave her house (or mine) without it so I am mindful to be patient waiting for her to apply as she calls it "her face" Maybe sometime I will learn to appy make-up (eye only) in a way that flatters me. (Cant make a straight line to save my life LOL) I feel invisible for other reasons......am not in a city.........living so rural can be isolating when one is disabled.

Hugs, @Stormygirl.  

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

It's about how you carry yourself with or without make up.  As someone else said, how you perceive yourself.  I don't care if people notice me with or without make up.  It's a self-confidence thing. 

Reminds me of women who will not leave the house without make-up.  Insecure. 

@Shaunac

Anyone who owns concealer must be at least a little insecure.  If someone is totally confident in themselves as they are, they won't even bother with it.

I remember when I was a little girl I would put on eyeshadow and wear things in my hair, and that was all for fun.  But looking for things that will help my skin look more even, or cover up my dark circles without settling into fine lines...that's not fun, that's me wanting to look better when I leave the house.  So I guess I must be insecure.  But so what?

I feel the same way....it's not really fun to try to find just the right products that will improve my appearance.  However there are many cosmetics that will make me look better and as a result make me feel better about myself.

I realize that how we look doesn't equal who we are but if looking better boosts my confidence I'm going to continue to use it.  It's just a good feeling.  

Most of us do what we have to do to be our best.

Esteemed Contributor

I never leave the house without makeup. I enjoy the whole ritual of applying it and it doesn't take me very long to get ready. In case I do run late, I have powder foundation and a blush and bronzer compact in the car for touchups. I never leave the house without at least doing my brows and applying lipstick.

Respected Contributor

I try to wear the bare minimum which is foundation, lipstick, and blush. If I do not want to do foundation I use loreal lumi powder that  gives you a nice glow. and some lipstick

Honored Contributor

Do you mean to go to our mailbox?

Image result for cartoon of man shocked at woman without makeup

Respected Contributor

I live in a large metropolitan area, and I fully agree with the OP. No one goes any where here without make-up. If I went to work without my full make-up, people would ask me if I was feeling okay. They also don't go out without perfectly styled hair. I've been spending so many hours washing, drying, and setting my hair in hot rollers. Saturday, I'm going to the hair salon fo get a more versatile haircut that I can set if I want to or let the waves take over if I want to. IMO, it's sad but true that people are perceived differently when they're not made up.

Trusted Contributor

@truffle...I know how you feel-really. I'm a redhead with invisible eyelashes and super pale skin. I look VERY plain without makeup on. Believe me I am lazy enough, if I looked decent I would go without sometimes, but as it is I wear makeup most every time out the door. I once went to the post office without my face on early in the morning and the woman who worked there gave me a pitying look. Maybe she thought I was sick, I don't know but it wasn't my imagination. I'm glad I was born after the advent of cosmetics or I wouldn't have had many dates. I think to a degree it is mind over matter. We probably don't project our best when we don't have our faces on. I can also see what the other poster meant about becoming invisible as you get older. It happens when you're overweight too. Anyway, I do know how you feel, but don't get worried about having to go out sans makeup. You're still you-Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I've worn makeup 3 times in the last 6 weeks and people open doors for me, smile and say hello, and don't bump into me. 

It's not a makeup thing, it's a confidence thing. It's because I know I'm not a non-person. I hope you find a way to make yourself believe that you're valuable without makeup so that others will feel the same way and treat you accordingly. 

I have plenty of confidence but thanks for your opinion.  All opinions are welcome on my threads.  

My mistake. I'm sure the problem is everyone else and not you.

@ChynnaBlue

To be fair, what blackhole99 said is true--about senior citizens being ignored--and it isn't their fault.

I agree in the sense that, when I go out without makeup on, I tend to hide...and so people aren't going to see me as "visible."  However, there's no way to know how truffle carries herself without makeup, or why.  And I think it's common knowledge that people who look better tend to get more attention; it's not solely about confidence.

I don't really agree with this. I think it is all in the way you carry yourself, etc, not as much as some random magical age. My mom and dad are both in their late 60s. My mom still turns heads, people are so friendly and kind to her and go out of their way at times to talk to her. My dad draws people to him as well. They are both very vibrant, charming and delightful people that people of all ages enjoy being around. They are  just confident, genuine, and happy people that don't dwell on their age and ailments and negative things. I only I hope I can be as lively and amazing as they are and accept aging with grace and an open mind. It isn't going that way so far but I'm trying, lol! And my mom is super pale, even moreso than I, but even when she goes out without makeup she radiates an incredible energy. It isn't about looks, either.

@HappyDaze..It sounds like your parent both have a lot of charisma-that's a whole other ballgame-Smiley Happy They sound wonderful!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was told as a child that a woman of "a certain age" becomes invisible.  This has not been my experience.  I've always worn little makeup...just enough to make "natural" look healthier.  I have noticed that energy level and happiness tends to attract people rather than the makeup on my face.