Esteemed Contributor

Re: When using a curling iron or flat iron, the product you use for protecting hair ....

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Effie54 

I don't see alcohol listed in this product, but it could be listed by another chemical name.  I was using the curling iron on a lower setting or middle setting because my hair is not real thick any more.  I also did not hold the iron on the piece of hair for very long as I was afraid I would burn it.  

I myself struggle with fine hair, vs. using product to get some sort of volume. Usually in heat protectng sprays, there is some sort of a polymer, or alcohol base. It's meant to coat the hair, but in my opinion, I think it does awful things to hair. 

Honored Contributor

Re: When using a curling iron or flat iron, the product you use for protecting hair ....

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Here's my new dumb question -

I rarely use a hot styling tool, but once in a greart while I decide I feel like taking the extreme time.  My question is this --- I was starting to use my curling iron the other day and was going to use a product and thought --- I'm not even sure I know how to use the product before using the iron. When you spray on the product, it makes your hair kind of wet and then when you use the iron, it kind of makes a sizzle or frying noise!  That can't be good, right?  It made me uncomfortable!  I did a couple passes on the rest of my hair without the product, and then I thought, well, am I damaging my hair more by using it or not using it!  Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work?  I know --- Hairstyling 101!!!  Thank you!!!  

sounds as though you are using way too much 

spray into and through your help then brush,   then section and style.

I just tried Chi Infra spray very good 

Honored Contributor

@Zaimee 

I reckon the thing is to use it when your hair is wet.  For me, that's not too great because I tend to not know what I want to do - flat iron or curling iro - until later on.  Oh, well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Effie54 

I understand!  I'm beginning to think it's all not worth the effort.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear 

I was trying not to use much but it comes out very wet!  Thanks for the recommendation! 

Regular Contributor

I use bumble and bumble invisible oil heat protectant and I am happy. I didn't use heat protectant for a few months and my hair got damaged. I spray the invisible oil before blow drying.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Effie54 

I understand!  I'm beginning to think it's all not worth the effort.  

Sometimes it's not! It takes me forever, and then my hair does the flop in about an hour.

Honored Contributor

@Lovevienna 

Thank you!   General thoughts seem to be that a product needs to be used before drying the hair and not after!