Honored Contributor

Re: When using a curling iron or flat iron, the product you use for protecting hair ....

@Lipstickdiva 

Sheesh -- here I am thinking that one of these products would really help the condition of the hair, not hurt it!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: When using a curling iron or flat iron, the product you use for protecting hair ....

@Shanus 

My hair was totally dry -- until I used the heat protectant product on it.  In fact, I washed my hair and let it air dry and did not go any place.  The next morning I decided I wanted to use the curling iron to give it a more polished look, etc.  Was not happy that the curling iron started to make a sizzling sound so I stopped!  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

Generally speaking, I am really low maintenance when it comes to hair.  I figure the less I do the better off I am.  I juse wash and condition and don't even blow dry --- just my bangs!  This particular day I was going some place and wanted my hair to look more polished so I got out the curling iron.  Not something I normally do.  My hair did look a lot nicer with just a few pulls through.  However, I am not willing to incur more damage to do this!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1   Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. I always apply heat protectant whether I air dry or blow dry. I never know which it will be or if an iron will be needed. Either way, my protectant is already in my wet hair before it dries...just in case. 

If curling iron sizzled, either heat was too high, not a great heat protector or maybe need a new iron...temp not an accurate reading. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I see --- so you are always prepared!  That is good because I never know after the fact if I will feel like using a styling tool. The curling iron I purchased is new.  I had purchased it a few weeks before.  And I used a lower setting.  I used a Pantene product called Heat Primer.  Is it a good one?  Beats me. I'm sure it's not the best or high end but I thought it would be o.k. for all the more I would use it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I was reading some of the reviews on your product, trying to get an idea of how people are using it. Mixed reviews, but they may not be using it correctly.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think any spray like that should go on wet hair, then allow to dry, and then style.

Sizzling, steaming, using a hot appliance on damp hair, I do not think, is good at any time.

But you're right, the directions are unclear. You might want to contact Pantene and ask them for more specifics on use.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Anything that comes in a bottle like the picture below should not make your hair as wet as ones with the pump.  I have used ones by Living Proof, Ouai, Amika, DryBar, Joico and R & Co.  I tend to switch up my hair products so I don't really have a favorite.  The biggest problem I have with this type of product is they sometimes have a strong smell at first.  In most cases it dissipates quickly, but it can be a big annoying.  Some of the sell mini sizes, so you might want to try one of those to see if you like it.  

Good luck!

OUAI - Heat Protection Spray 4.4 oz/ 126 g

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

Thanks.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who did not think their written words were clear!  

Honored Contributor

@lkat 

Yes, I agree. I don't know why most of these hair products have such a strong smell to them.  This does not agree with me!  

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I use the Pantene heat primer. Gold bottle. I use it on wet hair after I shampoo. I let my hair air dry a little and then, use a blow dryer on high to style. 
Don't really know if it is protecting my hair or not from the heat.