Honored Contributor

Re: When to use an essence product?

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Essence is basically a light version of a serum, not used in place of a toner but as an extra layer of hydration before applying serum. Essence can be applied after cleansing and toners but before applying serums or moisturizers. Essence can also be a stand-alone product used instead of a serum. 

@SilleeMee   Which ones have you tried and recommend?

@Shanus 

I haven't used any essence products. I'd rather apply serums.

@SilleeMee   I'm asking because I never got into essences. I use a hydrating toner (no alcohol) after cleansing and straight to my C serum. I never saw a need to add a watery substance that may dilute my other skincare. 

@Shanus 

I think if I had chronically and severely dry skin then I might be tempted to try using an essence. But I find using a serum plus my moisturizer good enough. 

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Pacifica has an essence product that looks interesting and had a question for those that use essences.  

When do you use it?  After toner?  In place of a toner?  After serums but before moisturizer?

TIA!

Hi @JudyL - I've been using an Essence for several years ever since I started using Skinn Cosmetics products. It has been an integral step in K Beauty regimes. I don't use a toner. One of the resident 'experts' here once posted that she believes toners and essences are the same/interchangeable which is not true! 

Good news is there are many good options at a variety of price points. On the higher end is SK-ll and Tatcha. I've tried several brands but my go to is Skinn Cosmetics Essence for the quality/price, overall value

i think you should try it for yourself to see if you find it beneficial. I don't ascribe to the beauty beliefs that some of the resident 'experts' post here. Their egos get in the way of accurate info. Do you own research.

I find there is a benefit to using the Essence after cleansing, before serums for my PM regime. My skin is softer and I use less of my serums bc the Essence provides a nice base to distribute the serums. It does not dilute serums - that is false info

Which of the Pacifica Essence are you interested in? I see this one posted at Target

FF779B34-490B-447E-8284-C55CB3CB62EC.png

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@JudyL - not every Essence is equal to the next. Read the ingredient decks and do your own research

This is my fav Essence- I have it on A/D at HSN. While the Pacifica one is a spray, the typical application is via your hands, patted onto freshly cleansed skin. Not with a cotton pad as you would with a toner

Skinn® Cosmetics Non-Negotiables Pitahaya Essence
- 766-020

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl - Since it was on sale and reasonably priced, I ordered from Pacifica's website.  Its their Hydrating Milk Tonic (think that was the word) Essence.  Was going to try it after cleansing and before serums.  Not sure whether I will use a toner first or not, will try it both ways.  If it doesn't work or I don't like it, I didn't spend a lot so no big deal but I wanted to try it anyway.  As said before, skin care is trial and error and what works for me may or may not for someone else but you don't know until you try.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Chi-town girl - Since it was on sale and reasonably priced, I ordered from Pacifica's website.  Its their Hydrating Milk Tonic (think that was the word) Essence.  Was going to try it after cleansing and before serums.  Not sure whether I will use a toner first or not, will try it both ways.  If it doesn't work or I don't like it, I didn't spend a lot so no big deal but I wanted to try it anyway.  As said before, skin care is trial and error and what works for me may or may not for someone else but you don't know until you try.

@JudyL  - I agree with your approach to skin care!  I'm interested in your review/experience with this product - please post a review!

37EBB1B5-A7B6-41F3-880D-434A4502E1D6.jpeg

0AB997A1-1C5A-43FC-AEA2-2A759072649B.png

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl - will definitely leave a review once I've tried it for a while.  Use Pacifica's collagen eye cream and like it very much so looking forward to trying this.

Honored Contributor

Today's toners and essences are morphing into the same product.   If any of the harsh alcohol based toners still exist, stay away from them.  They are drying and damaging to your skin.  An essence is the first thing you apply unless it's a day that you're using something like The Ordinary's Glycolic Acid Toner (alcohol free).  An essence is used for super hydration and to prepare your skin for the following products.  I put my Missha First Essence in a continuous spray bottle and keep a bottle in the fridge to apply thru out the day if I'm feeling dehydrated.  I apply it at the beginning of my morning routine and night routine.  At night I use  HA and it needs a moist face to apply to.  Sometimes I use it between night time products (I use about 8 products at night).  I'm a BIG believer in the benefits of hydrating essences!

Honored Contributor

@RooRoo 

I love all things Tathca but found that their essence really didn't do anything noticeable over the Missha brand I bought.  I'm more than happy to spend the extra money when I see a difference but I did not between these two products.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Why not use both?  An essence conditions/preps the skin for the following products.  After my essence, I use my serums, Vit C, moisturizer and Squalane Oil.

Super Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@RooRoo 

I love all things Tathca but found that their essence really didn't do anything noticeable over the Missha brand I bought.  I'm more than happy to spend the extra money when I see a difference but I did not between these two products.  

@monicakm  Hi !! Which Missha essence do you recommend?   I like Tathca's skin care & The Pearl (love) but lately have been branching out trying different combinations of products.  I have very dry skin & am trying to repair my skin barrier as well.  The dry heat this time of year makes things even worse.  Probably from sun damage in my early years, oh boy, I was a sun worshipper.  I am trying something from SkinFix at night now (Barrier+}.  I like it a lot so far but it's not somethinng I would use during the day.

( I hope you had a nice weekend w your company)