Honored Contributor

When to use an essence product?

Pacifica has an essence product that looks interesting and had a question for those that use essences.  

When do you use it?  After toner?  In place of a toner?  After serums but before moisturizer?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: When to use an essence product?

@JudyL wrote:

Pacifica has an essence product that looks interesting and had a question for those that use essences.  

When do you use it?  After toner?  In place of a toner?  After serums but before moisturizer?

TIA!

@JudyL  My understanding is that an essence is like a toner.  Typically, it's used as the first step after cleansing.  In watching skincare influencer James Welsh, he said he likes doing a wet skincare routine, meaning he mists his face with an essence in between each step.  Applying products to a dampened face supposedly helps them penetrate better.  I've been doing this for awhile now, and like it.  I'm using Alpha Skincare's glycolic body lotion as my AM moisturizer.  It's a little thicker than I prefer for an AM moisturizer.  By misting my face prior to applying, it helps the lotion to thin out a little and spread more easily.

Respected Contributor

Byrdiedotcom has a good article entitled What Is A Skin Essence and Do You Really Need One? By Chloe Burcham

Super Contributor

@JudyL  I don't use toner but I use essence right after cleansing & before anything else.  It's watery in texture.  Then serums. and onward.  Let us know if you try the Pacifica one.  I use the Tatcha but not sure it's doing anything, LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Essence is basically a light version of a serum, not used in place of a toner but as an extra layer of hydration before applying serum. Essence can be applied after cleansing and toners but before applying serums or moisturizers. Essence can also be a stand-alone product used instead of a serum. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee @RooRoo @Janey2 @JeanLouiseFinch 

Thank you all for your responses.  Have been using Pacifica's collagen eye cream and really liking it so was looking at their other products.  The essence was part of one of their skin care sets so wondered how it was used.  If I do purchase it, I will let you know.

Honored Contributor

So many things from Pacifica look interesting, their packaging is delightful, ingredients are all natural and vegan and their prices are very reasonable. I want to try them all!!! Such a treat just to look at their website and see all the goodies. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Essence is basically a light version of a serum, not used in place of a toner but as an extra layer of hydration before applying serum. Essence can be applied after cleansing and toners but before applying serums or moisturizers. Essence can also be a stand-alone product used instead of a serum. 

@SilleeMee   Which ones have you tried and recommend?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I haven't used any essence products. I'd rather apply serums.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I haven't used any essence products. I'd rather apply serums.

@SilleeMee   I'm asking because I never got into essences. I use a hydrating toner (no alcohol) after cleansing and straight to my C serum. I never saw a need to add a watery substance that may dilute my other skincare.