Respected Contributor

Seems all products ask to be applied on "clean, dry, skin."  Well, only one product can go first!

In what order do facial oils go?  I use Lancome Genifique and a vitamin C serum, followed by a moisturizer, on one night.

I use Retin-A followed by a moisturizer on the other night.

Are facial oils meant to be used as your moisturizer or in addition to?  Before or after moisturizer?

My skin gets so dry in the winter that I would like to try a facial oil.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: When to apply facial oils

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Seems all products ask to be applied on "clean, dry, skin."  Well, only one product can go first!

In what order do facial oils go?  I use Lancome Genifique and a vitamin C serum, followed by a moisturizer, on one night.

I use Retin-A followed by a moisturizer on the other night.

Are facial oils meant to be used as your moisturizer or in addition to?  Before or after moisturizer?

My skin gets so dry in the winter that I would like to try a facial oil.

Hyacinth

I've read various articles saying either way but I prefer to put the oil OVER moisturizer because the oils essentially act as a moisture barrier to help prevent loss of moisture. I think this way gives you the most bang for your buck from both your oils and moisturizers.

Valued Contributor

It's always thinnest to thickest. 

Honored Contributor

I apply it last after my moisturizer when I use it.

Super Contributor

Do you feel the oil absorbs well this wY? Do you use during the day as well? I recently read that this was the proper way to use oil. I generally mix mine together.
Frequent Contributor

I use almost the identical products as you do, Hyacinth!  I always put the oil on last, and only if my skin still feels dry after my moisturizer.  Also, if my skin feels dry during the day, I will warm up one or two drops of oil in my hands and press it into my skin right over my makeup.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003, dry winter skin needs water to hydrate, a humectant to draw in water, emollient to soften, and a barrier to keep it all in.  Put on anything with water and a humectant on first.  

Respected Contributor

I mix a few drops of Argan into my moisturizer in the palm of my hand and then apply to my face. It's my last step.
Valued Contributor

Well, I'm going to buck the trend here because it works for me.  I have used facial oils for years and when in the dead of winter your face feels like it is going to fall off facial oils are to the rescue.  I prefer to use facial oils first and let it absorb into the skin for sometime.  Then later on I return and put on creamy moisturizer and eye cream.  

I tell you my skin is baby soft during the coldest days of the winter and it feels SO good using this method.  I also use body creams regularly during the winter as well and my skin feels comfortable and hydrated. 

Use the method that works best for you!