Respected Contributor

Re: When did you start watching QVC on TV?

In 1990, when they first switched over from CVN. The first thing I heard was that old, annoying QVC theme song. But I liked the host right away (Toni Price, Monica Gerhart, Pat James, Clarence Reynolds), so I kept watching. Was glad a few of the CVN hosts were hired, too.

Honored Contributor

Early 1990s, and I bought only gold jewelry, lots of it. I sold all of it several years ago because I am no longer working and don't wear it, plus my daughters only wear silver (or white gold, which was rare at the time I was buying). I needed the money at the time I sold it.

I do regret some of the pieces I let go, and am sure I did not get their true value. But what's done is done.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

1989 or 1990! We had just moved and one of new neighbors told me about the shopping channels so I checked them out.

Super Contributor

I started watching during my pregnancy with our third child back in '89. I think the 90's were the best shopping years for gold jewelry and fashions, I still miss those days.
Super Contributor

I'm not sure '92 or '93. I'm pretty sure there was a QVC fashion channel then too. I remember buying a sweater and was put on hold to talk to the host. It was Suzanne Runyon now on HSN,I was too chicken & hung up. Speaking of HSN I remember Tootie and I also remember the president of the company coming on to sell a closet organizer at a very cheap price and asking people to order & heat up the phone lines to see how the system held up! I also remember the very first time Susan Graver came on . she was very quiet & shy!
Super Contributor

Started watching in 1986. It was CVN then and I had a new baby who kept me up nights. So it kept me entertained while I rocked him back to sleep. Took awhile before I bought anything though. Was just a watcher back in the early days.

Respected Contributor

I too started in 1986 when it was CVN - before then I had watched HSN a little bit. Yes CVN AND QVC had fashion channels - just loved them. I believe Judy Crowell started on the fashion channel - I remember she had a bright red car - I think it was a Beemer - my goodness that was a long time ago. I spent most of my time at first on the Fashion channels - actually I am thinking they had 2 the Q. Mary Beth also started on CVN - here again, if my memory is correct.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Chlemma said:

Started watching in 1987, the year after they first went on the air. It took that long for my cable company at that time to carry them. Don't remember my first purchase but do remember how much fun all the hosts had and the programming was entertaining.

3Redheads, yes I remember HSN when you had to rush to the phone and order before the timer went off lol. I remember being in bed, half asleep when they were offering kitchen stools. Ran down to the phone and just made it in time Smile.

By the way, QVC was never CVN. CVN went belly-up and some of their hosts migrated to QVC, such as MaryBeth and Dan Wheeler.

(My Bolding)

You are correct!!! I don't understand why so many continue to believe that QVC was ever CVN. They weren't. I started watching from their first day in 1986. However, I was too chicken to make a purchase until 6 months later. lol...I bought a 14k bracelet from Jeff Hewson...which I later lost.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Member Since 11/20/2008
Esteemed Contributor

1989 or maybe late 1988. Either way, my first purchase was a pair of silver earrings with onyx. I loved them so much, still have them and wear them with my black sweaters. (It was a Kathy Levine show.)

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Ford1224 said:

Early 1990s, and I bought only gold jewelry, lots of it. I sold all of it several years ago because I am no longer working and don't wear it, plus my daughters only wear silver (or white gold, which was rare at the time I was buying). I needed the money at the time I sold it.

I do regret some of the pieces I let go, and am sure I did not get their true value. But what's done is done.

Hey Ford,

I'm holding onto one of those "Once in a lifetime" Kathy Levine show purchases I made. It's a 14k, (too bad it's not 18k), yellow gold bracelet that's about 1.75" wide and has a very interesting "close" link design. Kathy stated on that show that she didn't like the bracelet. Can you imagine?! But, I loved it and still wear it. I think maybe that was in '93 or '94.