Frequent Contributor

Re: When did you start watching QVC on TV?

DOes anyone remember on HSN that they put a timer on when you could buy the item on the air? My earliest memories of that channel include Tony Little!

I never watched CVN so maybe I started later?

Respected Contributor

2002. I was home sick with flu and flipping around. Paul Deasy was on, and I thought he was cute, so I decided to watch for a few minutes. My first purchase was from Patti Reilly. She presented a TSV of 18k wedding band hoops. They were $75 or around there. It was the jewelry that got me interested.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Regular Contributor

I started when they were CVN back in 1988, and have watched ever since, on and off. It has been a long time, where did it go?! Although as of late, my viewing days have lessoned a lot these days, I guess the interest isn't what it used to be, when programming and products seem to be the same old same old. I really miss the days of Kirks Folly and all their magical shows, that would be on from time to time. I know they can't be centered around all that, but the Q has lost their appeal to me, it's now more sell. sell. sell.

Respected Contributor

I came across it in 1988 when my daughter was an infant and up all night. It felt like someone else was awake in the world at that time of night. Took me about two years to buy anything though.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I watched when it was CVN. My first purchase was from Susan Graver's first show, hosted by Kathy Levine. I purchased a purple peach skin jacket, pants and shell and still looks great. The set was a table and two chairs. Those were the days!
Trusted Contributor

Started watching in 1987, the year after they first went on the air. It took that long for my cable company at that time to carry them. Don't remember my first purchase but do remember how much fun all the hosts had and the programming was entertaining.

3Redheads, yes I remember HSN when you had to rush to the phone and order before the timer went off lol. I remember being in bed, half asleep when they were offering kitchen stools. Ran down to the phone and just made it in time Smile.

By the way, QVC was never CVN. CVN went belly-up and some of their hosts migrated to QVC, such as MaryBeth and Dan Wheeler.

Super Contributor

Sometime in the fall of 1986. Husband watched all day, at the time recovering from back surgery watched CVN/QVC . He purchased jewelry for Christmas gifts and gifted me a 20" 18kt gold herringbone necklace. It had a wavy embossing through the center to keep it from kinking. Not long ago I sold it for scrap because it continued to kink and couldn't be fixed. Turned out to be 12kt.

Honored Contributor

I came late to the party and although it was still fun when I started watching back in 2005, it appears I missed the real glory days... They sure as heck aren't now... Glad I still caught some of the better action, because we sure haven't seen much lately... Sort of makes me wish I'd tuned in quite a bit earlier... but alas, I was one of 'those' who thought it was a big joke... That'll teach me...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

the husband (my ex) loved to watch the shopping channels. Just remembered HSN was on TV in 1979 when we lived in another state. Host sounded like a carnival barker and the picture was horrible or maybe it was the TV. They sold doodads, nothing interested me .

Honored Contributor

It must have been in the late 1980's. What I remember is many people telling Mary Beth they watched her on CVN which I had never heard of.