Regular Contributor

Re: When did dark roots become a desired look?

Maybe when women started having more power over their looks and songs like Jack Jones, Wives & Lovers, is not acceptable today.

Ladies, it's 2019, not 1950, thank goodness. 

Honored Contributor

I remember that Judith Light always had her dark roots showing on Who's the Boss, one episode a child was on the show and the child commented to her about her hair. 

Super Contributor

Personally, I think it is tacky.  That is my opinion.  Others like that look, and that's okay too.  To each her own.  I just wonder what people will think when they look at the fashion decades from now.?  Think of those women centuries ago with the large powdered wigs.  Thank goodness I didn't live then.

Respected Contributor

Suzanne Somers usually has the darker roots and the very light blond hair color....I have often thought her hair looked amazing!  I like change and the different way they do coloring today vs when my Mom began her coloring back in the 50's.  I look at the old movies and the dye jobs on these actors is so bad!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Shepherd wrote:

Maybe when women started having more power over their looks and songs like Jack Jones, Wives & Lovers, is not acceptable today.

Ladies, it's 2019, not 1950, thank goodness. 

@Shepherd 

By your math it would have been right around the time we were burning our bras but it definitely didn't happen then! LOL pretty sure it was more like late 80s

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@hopi 

I recall Farrah's hair having a lot of dimension to it but not her having particularly dark roots. I think she was probably a natural blonde to begin with who just lightened her hair

From 1979:

Eber streaks her hair, using one color but in varying degrees, so that it looks like three colors in her hair. And as the mood strikes her, she'll change the color from darker, as it was for her first movie, "Somebody Killed Her Husband," to very blond for "Sunburn" and now blonder still for "Saturn Three," filming in London. "She just felt blond again."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When I was at the salon getting my hair cut last week, the colorist had pink roots with an ashy blonde on the ends.

It did not look good at all, it looked like she did it herself and didn't do a good job. The colors didn't seem to go.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Andreatoo:

"By your math it would have been right around the time we were burning our bras but it definitely didn't happen then! LOL pretty sure it was more like late 80s"

Don't understand your comment but......I must be much younger than you. I see women getting much more economic power in the 80's & 90's. Certainly not in the 60's,the hippie era years or the 70's.

Honored Contributor

@Shepherd 

What you refer to as the hippie era was the Civil Rights era where those marginalized groups came forward and asserted themselves. This hair thing is fashion and I don't believe it has anything to do with asserting their economic autonomy.

It has little to do with social progress in my estimation. Incidentally I'll be 59 in August

Respected Contributor

Hahaha, y’all took the words right outta my mouth !!!